From: MZ on
I've seen this question pop up in this group here and there, but I'm not
sure there's ever been an answer that's satisfied me. If someone wants
to use, say, telnet or ftpd, is there a good way to thwart brute force
attacks? It would be nice if either of those programs had a lockout
feature, or something like that. Are there any clever strategies?
From: Stefan Ollermann on
MZ wrote:

> I've seen this question pop up in this group here and there, but I'm not
> sure there's ever been an answer that's satisfied me. If someone wants
> to use, say, telnet or ftpd, is there a good way to thwart brute force
> attacks? It would be nice if either of those programs had a lockout
> feature, or something like that. Are there any clever strategies?

You could configure inetd to start those services and limit the connections
with (in /etc/rc.conf):

inetd_enable="YES"
inetd_flags="-C 30"

There is a good explanation in the man page for what that parameter does.

Kind regards,
Stefan

From: Helmut Schneider on
MZ wrote:

> I've seen this question pop up in this group here and there, but I'm
> not sure there's ever been an answer that's satisfied me. If someone
> wants to use, say, telnet or ftpd, is there a good way to thwart
> brute force attacks?

Strong passwords?! :)

> It would be nice if either of those programs had a lockout feature, or
> something like that. Are there any clever strategies?

I use pf:

http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/en/bruteforce.html

expiretable is not in the ports anymore as pfctl does the job now:

pfctl -t $table -T expire $seconds

Helmut
From: bob prohaska's usenet account on
MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> wrote:
> to use, say, telnet or ftpd, is there a good way to thwart brute force
> attacks? It would be nice if either of those programs had a lockout

In a related vein, is there a simple way to make sshd report the failures
with the offending IP number first, the time stamp second and all
else following? That would make it easy to sort and mail the log
sections to abuse email addresses.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

From: John Rushford on
On Dec 19, 7:47 pm, bob prohaska's usenet account <b...(a)www.zefox.net>
wrote:
> MZ <m...(a)nospam.void> wrote:
> > to use, say, telnet or ftpd, is there a good way to thwart brute force
> > attacks?  It would be nice if either of those programs had a lockout
>
> In a related vein, is there a simple way to make sshd report the failures
> with the offending IP number first, the time stamp second and all
> else following? That would make it easy to sort and mail the log
> sections to abuse email addresses.
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

Bob,

I gave up emailing to abuse email addresses, this took up too much of
my time. Instead, I modified my syslog.conf to write everything login
related to a named pipe. I have a perl daemon running that then reads
the named pipe and writes everything to auth.log so that I still have
the record. The perl script, keeps track of invalid login attempts by
IP address and on the 3rd invalid attempt, dynamically blocks that IP
with an Ipfilter rule permanently. I write these IP's to a file so
that the are automatically blocked when the perl daemon is re-
started. I also keep a white list of IP's so that I don't lock myself
out :-)

John