From: Tim on
I know this post is 3-years old, but THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been picking at this problem for the last year and never had luck with any helpful links or posts until now! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

fox mulder wrote:

Windows Update error 80070422
12-Aug-07

I found that the service "Windows Modules Installer" had been stopped and disabled. I had never gone into my services and stopped it so I assume another program did. However, I do not see that listed in the dependencies for Windows Updates or visa versa? As soon as I turned it on, my updates came back on.

On Friday, June 22, 2007 3:11 PM
Agava wrote:

Windows Update (Error 80070422)
I have been unable to do any updates since I got my new computer with Vista
Basic. I continually get the 80070422 error. I have gone into
Administrative Tools and checked Properties under Windows Update. At first
Automatic (Delayed) was selected, and I changed that to Automatic. The
Service status was already on Started. However, I still cannot do any
updates and still get the above error message.

Restart background intelligence service Retry updating.

--
Gistcheckin

"Agavar" wrote:

On Friday, June 22, 2007 5:41 PM
Agava wrote:

RE: Windows Update (Error 80070422)
"Gistcheckin" wrote:

I tried this, but still get the 80070433 error when I try to update.

On Friday, June 22, 2007 6:45 PM
Gistchecki wrote:

Your Error # changed is it 80070422 or 80070433Check the Dependency Tab on
Your Error # changed is it 80070422 or 80070433

Check the Dependency Tab on either of the above Services - It appears
something is missing from the service (80070433 error). Try to determine
what is missing.

To register the Wuaueng.dll file, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Wuaueng.dll, and then click OK.
2. When you receive the following message, click OK:
DllRegisterServer in Wuaueng.dll succeeded.

Retry installation

--
Gistcheckin

"Agavar" wrote:

On Saturday, June 23, 2007 9:10 AM
Rootax wrote:

Re: Windows Update (Error 80070422)
"Agavar" <Agavar(a)discussions.microsoft.com> a ??crit dans le message de

Hello there

First, sorry for my english, i'm french.

I've the same problem since a few days with my Vista Ultimate x64. All my
services are started, i restarted them, i tried to rename the
SoftwareDistribution folder, so WU creates a new one, but the problem is
still here...

"{817A12BC-6517-4ACE-9F34-E1B3DFA634A6} 2007-06-23 15:04:09:796+0200 1 148
101 {61CA813A-7585-442E-A66B-B0D15CE6BDC0} 1 80070422 SelfUpdate Failure
Software Synchronization Windows Update Client failed to detect with error
0x80070422."

Windows Defender updates are ok though.

On Saturday, June 23, 2007 2:26 PM
Gistchecki wrote:

0x80070422 ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLEDIn almost all cases user has probably
0x80070422 ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED
In almost all cases user has probably disabled BITS service incorrectly
thinking that it would improve the computer perfomance.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/0700bf14-01b0-4d47-abae-e77345ca974f1033.mspx?mfr=true

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the
"0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows
Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

Method 4: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822798

--
Gistcheckin

"Rootax" wrote:

On Monday, June 25, 2007 8:45 PM
Agava wrote:

Re: Windows Update (Error 80070422)
"Gistcheckin" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:30 PM
Talamat31 wrote:

RE: Windows Update (Error 80070422)
How would one go about doing that

"Agavar" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:52 PM
Gistchecki wrote:

I recently upgraded to the Home Basic Vista version and am experiencing issues
I recently upgraded to the Home Basic Vista version and am experiencing
issues as well.

I checked my update log and found Error 1603 - Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834484

I renamed my software distribution folder and retried updating with no
success. This is with the .NetFramework update. I used the cleaning tool to
remove it, reinstalled NetFramework 1.1 and the update manually. Still
windows update reappeared twice with the same update and both times
Successful was listed after I clicked install - It detected the update yet,
it showed again with the same update and today when I checked, that update is
no longer listed.

This may possibly what is happening if you've upgraded XP to Vista system as
I have. Update "detects" but it may take a couple of times for it to do so.

Error # 80070422
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/fe4d69c6-1bfd-48c9-a858-b11fc9687ff61033.mspx

0x80070422 error
http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html
--
Gistcheckin

"Agavar" wrote:

On Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:54 PM
fox mulder wrote:

Windows Update error 80070422
I found that the service "Windows Modules Installer" had been stopped and disabled. I had never gone into my services and stopped it so I assume another program did. However, I do not see that listed in the dependencies for Windows Updates or visa versa? As soon as I turned it on, my updates came back on.

On Friday, December 21, 2007 10:06 PM
the_doc wrote:

Go to ?Administrator Tools? (Control Panel > Administrator tools?Select
Go to ?Administrator Tools? (Control Panel > Administrator tools?

Select ?Services? and Run As Administrator.

Go to the Windows Update service, and select properties.

Set startup type to automatic and press OK, then restart the service.

Go to the Windows Modules Installer service, and select properties.

Enable the service, set the Startup to automatic, and start the
service.

Close the Services window and run Windows Update again.

--
the_doc
the_doc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37925

http://forums.techarena.in

On Friday, May 30, 2008 10:31 AM
PJcas wrote:

I have tried all of these and I still get error code 80070422.
I have tried all of these and I still get error code 80070422. Come on
Microsoft Vista is getting worse not better. How can I fix this??????????????

"Gistcheckin" wrote:

On Friday, May 30, 2008 7:07 PM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

Re: Windows Update (Error 80070422)
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"PJcass" <PJcass(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

6/22/2007 12:10 PM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=80070422+agavar&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=a8afe532-8ce0-4cd7-a890-6d8401b348b1&mid=fee3b7a9-40fe-458f-9cf9-375b4a23b55b

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
E:\>set /a c = 0x422
1058
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
</cmd_output>

Look for some context in your logs to figure out *which* service cannot be started? ; }

In case Gistcheckin's guess for the OP was correct. You could also try using bitsadmin
(in a cmd window) to both check the status of your BITS service and optionally repair it.

Note that another service being disabled was identified as the problem cause
by another poster to this ancient thread.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

On Friday, May 30, 2008 10:19 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

Why not just open a free support incident?
Why not just open a free support incident? =>
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

On Sunday, July 06, 2008 1:46 PM
I have the same proble wrote:

RE: Windows Update (Error 80070422)
"Agavar" wrote:

On Monday, November 17, 2008 6:39 AM
trevor roberts wrote:

error 80070433
error 80070433

On Sunday, February 08, 2009 8:40 AM
Dah wrote:

Dear all,Go to Start. Type 'msconfig' > then go to 'services'.
Dear all,

Go to Start. Type 'msconfig' > then go to 'services'. Be sure that all
Micorosoft services are checked in. Then press OK. Your problem will
disappear. I have fixed the problem so simply.

"Agavar" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:24 PM
TeeRo wrote:

RE: Windows Update error 80070422
This is the fix, thank you.

Parallel Programming in C# 4.0: A Short Synopsis
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/047afdf6-61ab-4b85-9204-b0f20bdc955a/parallel-programming-in-c-40-a-short-synopsis.aspx
From: Andy on
its never an out of date or old fix if it fixes a problem for someone down
the road:)

--
AL'S COMPUTERS