From: Roger on
I am trying to get FTPS working on a Windows 2008 R2 server. The server is
located at a remote location which is accessible via vpn.

I have set up two FTPS 'sites' both on the same server using domain names to
get to them. One is accessible via a routable IP (across the internet) the
other is accessible via a non-routeable (internal only) IP, so I can get to
it via the VPN. I set up an entry in the hosts file for that one.

The FTPS site that I access through the VPN works fine. The one I access
across the internet gives an error indicating it did not reach the server. I
have tried turning off the windows firewall completely and that made no
difference. This same server provides regular ftp access so ports 20 and 21
are open at the firewall. We only use active ftp so only 20 and 21 are used.

I assume the problem is our firewall (hardware). Since it is owned and
maintained by the co-location facility we need to tell them which ports to
open, but I have not been able to find out what those are.

We are using the FTPS (FTP with SSL) that comes with Windows 2008 R2.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you.

From: Brian Cryer on

"Roger" <rogerdev(a)vnet.on.ca> wrote in message
>I am trying to get FTPS working on a Windows 2008 R2 server. The server is
>located at a remote location which is accessible via vpn.
>
> I have set up two FTPS 'sites' both on the same server using domain names
> to get to them. One is accessible via a routable IP (across the internet)
> the other is accessible via a non-routeable (internal only) IP, so I can
> get to it via the VPN. I set up an entry in the hosts file for that one.
>
> The FTPS site that I access through the VPN works fine. The one I access
> across the internet gives an error indicating it did not reach the server.
> I have tried turning off the windows firewall completely and that made no
> difference. This same server provides regular ftp access so ports 20 and
> 21 are open at the firewall. We only use active ftp so only 20 and 21 are
> used.

FTPS uses port 990 for implicit FTPS, or port 21 for explicit FTPS. I use
FileZilla server instead of the FTP server built into windows because I feel
more secure separating FTP accounts from Windows accounts, so I don't know
whether or not the Windows FTP server supports explicit FTPS. In any event
try opening port 990 in your firewall and see if that makes any difference.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian