From: venki on
Hi,

I am using USB floppy drive with SLES 11 X64 Linux server. Problem is
when I plugin the usb floppy drive, kernel is able to detect the drive
and mode of floppy in drive. For example, if I used a write protection
off floppy in drive, while plugin the drive, kernel able to detect the
mode of floppy inside the drive. And I able to mount and copy files to
that floppy.

Now, if I replace the floppy with write protected one, Kernel is not
able to detect the current mode. So that, if I copy a file to floppy,
os not showing any message like "write protected error messages".
Immediatly an entry is appearing in floppy mounted location, but after
some other operations its disappearing.

Please somebody give a light on this problem and let me know if any
more information need.
From: ArameFarpado on
Em Quinta 28 Janeiro 2010 05:09, venki escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> I am using USB floppy drive with SLES 11 X64 Linux server. Problem is
> when I plugin the usb floppy drive, kernel is able to detect the drive
> and mode of floppy in drive. For example, if I used a write protection
> off floppy in drive, while plugin the drive, kernel able to detect the
> mode of floppy inside the drive. And I able to mount and copy files to
> that floppy.
>
> Now, if I replace the floppy with write protected one, Kernel is not
> able to detect the current mode. So that, if I copy a file to floppy,
> os not showing any message like "write protected error messages".
> Immediatly an entry is appearing in floppy mounted location, but after
> some other operations its disappearing.
>
> Please somebody give a light on this problem and let me know if any
> more information need.

floppy drives doesn't even inform the system when you insert a disk (no
auto-notification), much less inform if some switch inside is pressed or
not.

what you are seeing is normal.