From: notbob on
I'm looking at external usb dvd/cd player burners. Mostly interested
in fast AC pwr Plextor models. I keep seeing all these variations
that provide features like Qflix and Lightscribe, etc. What are
these? I google, but get mostly corporate hype instead of basic
English explanations. What are these variations? Not really
interested in video, but if one would be helpful in recording a flic I
payed for on cable, that might be handy. I read one review that said
I gotta pay fer Qflix, but found no more info. Howzabout some
straight answers. Thnx.

nb
From: Joe Pfeiffer on
notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> writes:

> I'm looking at external usb dvd/cd player burners. Mostly interested
> in fast AC pwr Plextor models. I keep seeing all these variations
> that provide features like Qflix and Lightscribe, etc. What are
> these? I google, but get mostly corporate hype instead of basic
> English explanations. What are these variations? Not really
> interested in video, but if one would be helpful in recording a flic I
> payed for on cable, that might be handy. I read one review that said
> I gotta pay fer Qflix, but found no more info. Howzabout some
> straight answers. Thnx.

Lightscribe lets you burn a "label" onto the non-media side of the
CD/DVD. Requires both a Lightscribe burner and media.
From: Lusotec on
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> notbob writes:
>> I'm looking at external usb dvd/cd player burners. Mostly interested
>> in fast AC pwr Plextor models. I keep seeing all these variations
>> that provide features like Qflix and Lightscribe, etc. What are
>> these? I google, but get mostly corporate hype instead of basic
>> English explanations. What are these variations? Not really
>> interested in video, but if one would be helpful in recording a flic I
>> payed for on cable, that might be handy. I read one review that said
>> I gotta pay fer Qflix, but found no more info. Howzabout some
>> straight answers. Thnx.
>
> Lightscribe lets you burn a "label" onto the non-media side of the
> CD/DVD. Requires both a Lightscribe burner and media.

I have used the lightscribe feature a few times. Lighscribe produces
acceptable results for high contrast text labels but with low and high
contrast images and the results are mediocre. It may be that my drive is not
particularly good. Any way, with a printer the results are far superior and
with color.

As for Qflix, I have no idea what that is.

Regards.

From: Henrik Carlqvist on
notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> wrote:
> I keep seeing all these variations that provide features like Qflix and
> Lightscribe, etc. What are these?

Qflix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qflix

In short it seems to be a technology where you pay extra to be able to do
less. Why would anyone want to buy special DVD media whose only function
is that once written to it would not be possible to make copies of them?

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: notbob on
On 2010-01-31, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist(a)deadspam.com> wrote:

> less. Why would anyone want to buy special DVD media whose only function
> is that once written to it would not be possible to make copies of them?

I wouldn't. Apparently, in my hurry to skim the wiki page, I missed
the point-blank crux of, "to add CSS copy protection/DRM to recordable
DVD-R media.". DOH! OTOH, seems pretty dumb marketing approach.
"Here, buy this product to limit what you can do" There's gotta be an
upside. I'm at a loss to see what it is.

nb