From: Danno on
AZ Nomad wrote:
<snip>

> The via cpu's are basically souped pentium I's. They do not have
> instruction ordering introduced with the pentium pro and seen on
> pentium II and later processors.
>
> Do you know if the atom has such an architecture?

Atom has up to SSE3 :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Atom_microprocessors

The VIA CPUs slowly acquired extra instruction across the various lines and
iterations, from C3->C7->Eden->Nano. I believe the newest Nano CPUs even
have SSE4.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIA_Nano
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VIA_microprocessors

I am not familiar of the computational needs of an automated irrigation
system (I'll speculate relatively low), but if up front cost is important,
why not just get used system? Way-cheap P4-era systems seem to be common
around my part of the world, these days. They're going to burn more power
than a new Atom-based system, but will likely cost about a quarter of the
price, up front.
If you're looking at the long term power consumption, check out the Fit PC
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/
or Norhtec's array of offerings (Vortex86 and VIA CPUs) :
http://www.norhtec.com/products/index.html
I am particularly looking forward to getting one or two of these in from
Norhtec, when they are released :
http://www.xcore86.com/site/node/11
Or, if your heart is set on a bare Atom motherboard, here's a few upcoming
http://www.linuxtech.net/features/intel_atom_pineview_motherboards_overview.html

Experience with Linux + Atom : I built my (light duty) fileserver around a
Jetway Atom330 motherboard. I'm running Slackware 12.2 on it, has a single
2G stick (max), a 4xSATA daughterboard + 2xSATA + 1xIDE, realtek onboard
gigalan. I'm pretty happy with it, seems stable enough on XFS across all
the drives, think I've rebooted once in the past year due to a (stock)
kernel bug in the (unneeded) sound module, otherwise it's up 24/7/365. I
may pony up for one of those Zotac NM10-B-E boards at some point, perhaps
the Supermicro X7SPA-HF, mainly for the increase to 4G RAM (2 slots).

--
Slackware 12.2, 2.6.27.7, Core i7 920, GeForce 8400 GS
RLU #272755
From: Mike on

> I am not familiar of the computational needs of an automated irrigation
> system (I'll speculate relatively low), but if up front cost is important,
> why not just get used system? Way-cheap P4-era systems seem to be common
> around my part of the world, these days. They're going to burn more power
> than a new Atom-based system, but will likely cost about a quarter of the
> price, up front.
> If you're looking at the long term power consumption, check out the Fit PC

Yup, computational needs could be handled by by practically anything. The
O/S and any GUI would be the biggest loads. The system would just be taking
readings from a weather station and other sensors on a 1-wire system and
doing things like activating relays and the like based on the readings.

I've got an Athlon Barton 2600+ system that could be used but it's too noisy
to run in the house 24/7. The garage is not a PC friendly environment (too
much dust and temperature extremes.)

Cheers
Mike

From: Kevin D. Snodgrass on
Mike wrote:
>>I am not familiar of the computational needs of an automated irrigation
>>system (I'll speculate relatively low), but if up front cost is important,
>>why not just get used system? Way-cheap P4-era systems seem to be common
>>around my part of the world, these days. They're going to burn more power
>>than a new Atom-based system, but will likely cost about a quarter of the
>>price, up front.
>>If you're looking at the long term power consumption, check out the Fit PC
>

> Yup, computational needs could be handled by by practically anything. The
> O/S and any GUI would be the biggest loads. The system would just be taking
> readings from a weather station and other sensors on a 1-wire system and
> doing things like activating relays and the like based on the readings.
>
> I've got an Athlon Barton 2600+ system that could be used but it's too noisy
> to run in the house 24/7. The garage is not a PC friendly environment (too
> much dust and temperature extremes.)
>
> Cheers
> Mike

Have you looked at something like a Chumby? It comes with Linux installed.
http://www.chumby.com/

Or this:
http://www.mini-box.com/

Or this:
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/

Lots of little computers out there these days...
From: Danno on
Mike wrote:

<snip>
> The garage is not a PC friendly
> environment (too much dust and temperature extremes.)
>
> Cheers
> Mike

I've also been weighing the benefits of keeping a computer in a varying
temperature (outdoor). Sounds like condensation is a killer. From what I've
read so far, one almost certainly needs a sealed system during the cold
season. Dust can be filtered, but water vapour has to be accommodated for.