From: jeffreyl on
I know there are many TS experts in this group. Can I get some
advices, please?

I have installed a VB application on Terminal Server box and part of
the application is failed with either admin or normal user. Following
are details..

Application installation and issues:
1. I have a box with Windows Server 2003 standard + SP1 installed and
the server was configured to TS mode. Permission Compatibility has set
to "Relaxed Security"
2. Log on to the TS with user having admin right.
3. Change the TS to install mode explicitly with "change user
/install"
4. Run the Installation package of the VB application successfully.
5. Start and run the application with no error (including all the menu
buttons). Close the application
6. Change TS to execute mode by "change user /execute"
7. With the same logon user (admin right), re-start the application.
The application has launched with no error, all meun button works
except one, which launches a new window, failed with error: "Fail to
create object." (a registered .ocx).
8. Log on the TS with normal user, same error with #7

What I found so far:
Registry:
1. The installation writes all registry entries to HKLM, apart from
few empty keys in HKCU
2. Corresponding shallow keys (..../terminal server/install/software)
are created for those empty keys as well.
3. No entries in any of the sub keys under .../terminal
server/Compatibility/
4. There is no .INI file created during the installation in the System
directory

Regmon and Filemon:
1. There is no File access during launching and running the
application in either mode
2. In "Install mode" the registered object key was queried in both
HKLM and HKCR, and somehow loaded successfully from HKCR
3. In "Execute mode" the registered object key was only queried in
HKLM, but not HKCR
4. There is no "ACCESS DENIED" entries running in either mode

I'd like to figure out what registry entries are changed when executing
"Change User /install" command, which changes the behaviour of reading
the registry entries of the runtime application.

Dose anyone ecounter similar issues before? Any ideas of the possible
solutions?

Many thanks,
Jeff

From: jeffreyl on
To be more specific,

The application fails to load any form contains a specific third party
..ocx control in EXECUTE mode (it runs ok in INSTALL mode).

I have registered the control in "Install mode" under Admin account
using regsvr32.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

From: Wimpie van Lingen on
Hi

I've got a similar problem, although my error is caused by a dll that
doesn't register correctly instead of an ocx.
I wonder if it is possible that this problem is caused by one of Microsoft's
newer updates from Windows Update.

We've used an application on Terminal Server for years now and after the
last time we did an update, we are stuck with this problem (we had to
re-register the dll's). This is the first time ever we've had a problem
like this and now suddenly someone is experiencing a similar problem.
My post was news:u4cuRRmLHHA.1280(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl titled "ActiveX
Component can't create object" but no-one could really help me so far.

From: Dragos CAMARA on
A program might create HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry settings the first time a
user runs the program, rather than during installation. If you do not run the
program while install mode is still active, the HKEY_CURRENT_USER settings
are not copied to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. The first time each user runs the
program, HKEY_CURRENT_USER will be loaded with the default settings.
Depending on the program, this might or might not be appropriate. If the
default settings are not sufficient, they need to be corrected for each user
individually.

To avoid this problem, run the program once before clicking Finish in
Add\Remove Programs (or before running change user /execute). This will cause
the program to create the necessary registry settings.

If you have already left install mode and have not run the program, re-enter
install mode with change user /install and run the program. If you have
already run the program while in execute mode, create another administrator
account, log on with this new account, run change user /install, run the
program, and then run change user /execute to leave install mode.

Did you try to register the ocx in execute mode?
--
Dragos CAMARA
MCSA Windows 2003 server

From: jeffreyl on
Thanks for your reponse,

I had tried to register the ocx in both modes, it didn't work.

I guess that I found the problem.

Just noticed that the installation did copy an .INI file (with a date
of 2003) into the System directory. When the application runs in
INSTALL mode, it looks for the INI file in System directory.
Everything is OK.

Switch to Execute mode, the application looks for
"SystemRoot\LoginUser$\Windows" dirctory for INI file. BUT, I am
working in one of the "Virtural Machine"s on the Terminal server box (I
hope the terms I used are right), which returns Terminal server's root
directory instead of the root directory of the "Virtual Machine" I am
in, so the application failed to load the INI file (it's actually not
there at all, because it couldn't copy the INI file from System
directory in the first place when I switch to Execute mode).

E.g. the Server box has name SerName and virtual machine I am in has
name VirName
the application is look for "SerName\LoginUser$\Windows"
directory for INI file

I hope I had explained clear enough what the problem is.

This is not an elegent solution.

Copy the INI file to the Terminal Server\LoginUser\Windows directory

Reasons of having a Terminal Server RootDirectory returned: my admin
account for that "Virtual Machine" was created by the Terminal Server's
System Administrator, so I am in the admin group of the server.

When I have the admin privilage of the Virtual Machine, I created other
normal user's account and when he/she run the application, the root
directory is local "C:\Document and Setting\LoginUser\Windows".

When I logon as normal user, the server doesn't copy the INI file to
user's local directory, I guess that because the INI belongs to the ocx
rather than an .exe file.

Hopefully that's not too confusing.

Thanks, Jeff