From: Richard M_ on
Hi,

I've just upgraded to Mac OS X 10.6, and was following the instructions
on the Rails blog
(http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2009/8/30/upgrading-to-snow-leopard) to
upgrade my gems etc. This seemed to work OK, with the exception of the
'rubynode' gem which failed to reinstall. This is on a standard Mac OS X
install of Ruby (I don't have MacPorts or anything like that installed).
The errors were are follows:

ERROR: Error installing rubynode:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
extconf.rb
==================== ERROR =====================
Please set RUBY_SOURCE_DIR to the source path of ruby 1.8.7
(2009-06-12)!

Could anyone tell me how to fix this? I don't know where I can set
RUBY_SOURCE_DIR, or what I should set it to. I did find another post on
this forum (http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/143021) with the same error,
but it's not clear to me how that was resolved.

Failing that, perhaps it I could just uninstall this gem. Could anyone
tell me if I'm actually likely to need it for Rails development?

Thanks,
Richard

From: Ryan Davis on

On Aug 6, 2010, at 18:37 , Richard M_ wrote:

> Failing that, perhaps it I could just uninstall this gem. Could anyone
> tell me if I'm actually likely to need it for Rails development?

No, you'll likely never need it for rails development. AFAIK, it isn't used as a dependency on any major libraries.
From: Sora Harakami on
Hi,

i think ruby's source isn't included in osx.

On Saturday, August 7, 2010, Richard M_ <uvwqijguiithcp(a)mailinator.com> wrote:
> Could anyone tell me how to fix this? I don't know where I can set
> RUBY_SOURCE_DIR, or what I should set it to. I did find another post on
> this forum (http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/143021) with the same error,
> but it's not clear to me how that was resolved.

Build ruby yourself to solve this problem.

Download tarball of ruby and extract it,
and run the following line (replace some paths for your environment.):

cd /path/to/ruby-src
/configure --enable-shared --prefix=$HOME/local
make && make install

---
ruby will be installed to prefix ($HOME/local is in this example),
so you need to put the prefix path to $PATH in your shell.
And you must install rubygems also if you're using ruby1.8.x .

Thanks,

sorah

--
Shota Fukumori - @sora_h