From: peter on
It seems that your system was originally sold with Vista Installed and
as such HP has no XP drivers for your ethernet .
Might I suggest you buy an ethernet card and install it in
a PCI slot. They are really cheap about $10 will get you a 10/100 Mbps one.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Alfred on
I finally chucked it in and reinstalled Vista. ;\(
May try to switch to W7 next.
Thanks to all who tried to help.