From: F MURTZ on
I bought an "8gb" "samsung" " Flash stick pen drive" on ebay.
I can only use aprox 4gb. Anything over that looks legitimate but wont
work.
checked with "USB View" id vendor 0x058f [Alcor Micro Inc] id product
0x6387.
Opened it up the controller is alcor micro AU698
Tried low level format. started with RAW, reformatted with xp's format
it still says 8gb aprox
but still only works for 4gb aprox. Very clever trickery {must be
hardware as low level format
did not get rid of whatever tells windows to tell fibs]

From: Know1 on

"F MURTZ" <haggisz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message news:47fcc7aa$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> I bought an "8gb" "samsung" " Flash stick pen drive" on ebay.
> I can only use aprox 4gb. Anything over that looks legitimate but wont
> work.
> checked with "USB View" id vendor 0x058f [Alcor Micro Inc] id product
> 0x6387.
> Opened it up the controller is alcor micro AU698
> Tried low level format. started with RAW, reformatted with xp's format
> it still says 8gb aprox
> but still only works for 4gb aprox. Very clever trickery {must be
> hardware as low level format
> did not get rid of whatever tells windows to tell fibs]

Look for it`s own formatting tool.

http://rapidshare.com/files/66369338/AU6980.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/88544492/AU6980-6981v6.15.04.zip.html

http://www.alcormicro.com/products_detail.php?main_id=3&p_id=49
http://www.alcormicro.com/system/upload/p_download/73/download.zip (pdf manual)

From: Fred on
F MURTZ wrote:
> I bought an "8gb" "samsung" " Flash stick pen drive" on ebay.
> I can only use aprox 4gb. Anything over that looks legitimate but
> wont work.
> checked with "USB View" id vendor 0x058f [Alcor Micro Inc] id product
> 0x6387.
> Opened it up the controller is alcor micro AU698
> Tried low level format. started with RAW, reformatted with xp's
> format it still says 8gb aprox
> but still only works for 4gb aprox. Very clever trickery {must be
> hardware as low level format
> did not get rid of whatever tells windows to tell fibs]

Apparently this Alcor Micro utility can remove the fibs
http://cid-21f12bb61b822dfa.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Utilities/iFormat2.zip

From: F MURTZ on
Fred wrote:
> F MURTZ wrote:
>> I bought an "8gb" "samsung" " Flash stick pen drive" on ebay.
>> I can only use aprox 4gb. Anything over that looks legitimate but
>> wont work.
>> checked with "USB View" id vendor 0x058f [Alcor Micro Inc] id product
>> 0x6387.
>> Opened it up the controller is alcor micro AU698
>> Tried low level format. started with RAW, reformatted with xp's
>> format it still says 8gb aprox
>> but still only works for 4gb aprox. Very clever trickery {must be
>> hardware as low level format
>> did not get rid of whatever tells windows to tell fibs]
>
> Apparently this Alcor Micro utility can remove the fibs
> http://cid-21f12bb61b822dfa.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Utilities/iFormat2.zip

iformat2 does not seem to work .When I click the exe file the program
window just flashes up for a second then goes away never to be seen again

Pages: 1
Prev: VoIP firmware unlocking
Next: HDD - DMA Error