From: Rob on
Can't read a HDD. The computer was shut down by a power failure and
would not reboot. Replaced the HDD and a new system the computer is OK.

The old HDD has a problem.

Samsung 200Gb PATA.

Tested with the Samsung tools - ES Tools - from a dos boot CD.

Comes up with an Error - AJ27 DMA Error, Sector Error.

Can this be repaired by what I think is my only option a low level
format? or are there other options?

Didn't want to loose too much data, which had not been backed, up one
weeks worth.

thanks

From: Rod Speed on
Rob <mesa(a)mine.com> wrote:

> Can't read a HDD. The computer was shut down by a power failure and
> would not reboot. Replaced the HDD and a new system the computer is OK.

> The old HDD has a problem.

> Samsung 200Gb PATA.

> Tested with the Samsung tools - ES Tools - from a dos boot CD.

> Comes up with an Error - AJ27 DMA Error, Sector Error.

Post the Everest SMART report for the drive.

> Can this be repaired by what I think is my only option a low level format?

You cant do a real low level format on modern drives,
the drive just writes zeros thru all the sectors.

> or are there other options?

Make a warranty claim.

> Didn't want to loose too much data,

Then you dont want to do a LLF.

> which had not been backed, up one weeks worth.

Depending on the Everest SMART report, most of the data may be recoverable.

If the drive is HPFS formatted, you may only need to use Ubuntu etc to be able to read it.

From: atec77 on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Rob <mesa(a)mine.com> wrote:
>
>> Can't read a HDD. The computer was shut down by a power failure and
>> would not reboot. Replaced the HDD and a new system the computer is OK.
>
>> The old HDD has a problem.
>
>> Samsung 200Gb PATA.
>
>> Tested with the Samsung tools - ES Tools - from a dos boot CD.
>
>> Comes up with an Error - AJ27 DMA Error, Sector Error.
>
> Post the Everest SMART report for the drive.
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
>
>> Can this be repaired by what I think is my only option a low level format?
>
> You cant do a real low level format on modern drives,
wrong
> the drive just writes zeros thru all the sectors.
one possibility