From: Tim McCaffrey on
In article <4BCB4D56.6040507(a)patten-glew.net>, ag-news(a)patten-glew.net says...

>> What seems to have happened is that a few commercial compscis[*]
>> demonstrated that working on some carefully selected programs, and
>> persuaded the decision makers that they could deliver it on most of
>> the important, performance critical, codes.
>
>> [*] NOT a flattering term.
>

>Hmm... From my point of view, the Itanium was the first computer architecture
driven mainl
>y by academics with PhDs.
>
>Its immediate predecessor, the P6, has only one PhD amongst its 5 primary
architects. (Bo
>b Colwell.)
>
>Itanium had a lot more people who had piled it higher and deeper.

I thought the 432 had a lot of input from CompSci PhDs?
(and see how well that turned out, and they went on to add
protected mode to the 286).

- Tim

From: Tim McCaffrey on
In article <hqfti9$n9a$1(a)smaug.linux.pwf.cam.ac.uk>, nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk says...

>In article
<75d79415-bc83-4989-80c4-610acae0942c(a)12g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
>MitchAlsup <MitchAlsup(a)aol.com> wrote:
>>On Apr 18, 10:03=A0am, Robert Myers <rbmyers...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> My assumption, backed by no evidence, is that HP/Intel kept adding
>>> "features" to get the architecture to perform as they had hoped until
>>> the architecture was sunk by its own features.
>>>
>>> You think the problem is fundamental. =A0I think the problem is
>>> fundamental only because of the way that code is written, in a
>>> language that leaves the compiler to do too much guessing for the idea
>>> to have even a hope of working at all.
>>
>>I think the problem was/is fundamentally a political issue with the
>>leadership of the design teams, especially in the ability of the
>>leadership to say "No, let us not dedicate of expend resources
>>investigating that corner of the design space."
>
>Yes and no. That was definitely the cause, but the missing ability
>was to ask "Hang on. Is what we are assuming really true?"

Having been on two different projects, one where I presented (after months of
effort) to management that the product would *never* reach design goals (it
just was inherent in the design), and another were management just wouldn't
hear that the eventual product *would* *exceed* the design goals, but we just
didn't have a working version running yet, I have to have some sympathy for
those involved.

But, it was pretty obvious that Itanium was dead 4 or 5 years ago. Why is
Intel still wasting money?

- Tim

From: Robert Myers on
On Apr 20, 9:19 pm, timcaff...(a)aol.com (Tim McCaffrey) wrote:

> But, it was pretty obvious that Itanium was dead 4 or 5 years ago.  Why is
> Intel still wasting money?

Because Itanium isn't dead. HP appears to be doing just fine with it.

Robert.

From: "Andy "Krazy" Glew" on
On 4/20/2010 6:15 PM, Tim McCaffrey wrote:

>>> What seems to have happened is that a few commercial compscis[*]
>>> demonstrated that working on some carefully selected programs, and
>>> persuaded the decision makers that they could deliver it on most of
>>> the important, performance critical, codes.
>>
>>> [*] NOT a flattering term.
>>

>> Hmm... From my point of view, the Itanium was the first computer architecture
> driven mainl
>> y by academics with PhDs.
>>
>> Its immediate predecessor, the P6, has only one PhD amongst its 5 primary
> architects. (Bo
>> b Colwell.)
>>
>> Itanium had a lot more people who had piled it higher and deeper.
>
> I thought the 432 had a lot of input from CompSci PhDs?
> (and see how well that turned out, and they went on to add
> protected mode to the 286).
>
> - Tim

It may well be true that the '432 was academically inspired. Before my time.
From: Bengt Larsson on
Quadibloc <jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>On Apr 21, 7:46�pm, Bengt Larsson <bengtl8....(a)telia.NOSPAMcom> wrote:
>
>> Indeed, HP decides how long Itanium is alive. What else could they
>> use? x86?
>
>Well, now that the x86 architecture has available for it the same
>mainframe-like RAS features that Itanium had all along, that, at
>least, is a possibility.

That's possible, but Nehalem-EX is, after all, very recent.