From: vul on
I'm using FAXCOMEX to send faxes from VB program
I have shared Fax Server on my network server (Windows 2003). The name of
the server is "BIGDELL". It's in my home network.
I have no problem with sending fax by using this code:
strFaxPrinterName = "BIGDELL"
objFaxServer.Connect (strFaxPrinterName)
.....here is the preparation of the document
Then send fax:
JobID = objFaxDocument.ConnectedSubmit(objFaxServer)

I also have a remote server which I access via VPN. There is a shared Fax
Server too. I was able to add that Fax to my development workstation and I
can send faxes via that remote Fax Service.
I would like to send faxes via remote Fax Server from my VB application.
In the list of Printers and Faxes that Fax Server appears as Fax Server on
srt1.srt-enterprises.local

I tried
strFaxPrinterName = "Fax Server on srt1.srt-enterprises.local"
and then the same code as above. It produces an error when connecting to the
Fax Server.

With
strFaxPrinterName = "srt1.srt-enterprises.local"
strFaxPrinterName = "\\srt1.srt-enterprises.local"
strFaxPrinterName = "\\srt1"
it doesn't produce any error, but faxes are not sent. Is it wrong Fax Server
name or something else?
If my approach is not good by some reason I would ask for an advice how to
send a fax from VB application.
One more thing to mention: My home server has Windows 2003 Enterprise
edition, remote server has Small Business 2003 edition. May it be the
explanation why I can send from my local server and cannot from a remote
one?

Thank you
Al

From: vul on
I found out that this is security issue. If Domain Administrator privileges
are given to the workstation with my VB application then everything works.
With regular user credentials it doesn't work. Probably some folders are
required to have read/write in order to make Fax service work. Unfortunately
so far even Microsoft support (paid per incident) did not give any answer.

Al

From: Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] on
Surprising they didn't know. I've had no experience with Windows Server Fax,
but as far as the Windows XP client software is concerned it only works as
expected when the user has administrator privileges.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

From: NickHK on
Al,
Don't know if the cause is the same, but WinFax only works under an Admin
account, which is kind of annoying.

NickHK

From: vul on
I'm using WinFax installed on local machines and it works fine. My client
requested to replaced it with MS Shared Fax. And now I do not know what
changes are required on the server to make it work for everybody, not only
domain admin

Al