From: despen on
Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> writes:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:34:08 +1100, Joel Ross wrote:
>
>> J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> Did you unmount with alsactl?
>>>

>> don't know what you mean unmount what?
>
> What he should have said was "un-mute". However, you use 'alsamixer' to
> do that. If you see an 'MM' on a volume slider, it's muted, and press
> the 'M' key to unmute it. Press ESC to exit alsamixer. Then run
> "alsactl store" to save the settings. Do all this as root.

I think with F11, he should be using pavucontrol.

Make sure pulseaudio is running in the background.

If you are not running KDE or Gnome you may have additional
issues. Under Fvwm2 I find I need to run:

sudo chmod a+rw /dev/dsp
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/snd/*

I'm still on F10.

For diagnostics, run an audio app from the command line and
see if you get error messages.
From: Allen Kistler on
despen(a)verizon.net wrote:

>> What he should have said was "un-mute". However, you use 'alsamixer' to
>> do that. If you see an 'MM' on a volume slider, it's muted, and press
>> the 'M' key to unmute it. Press ESC to exit alsamixer. Then run
>> "alsactl store" to save the settings. Do all this as root.
>
> I think with F11, he should be using pavucontrol.
>
> [snip]

pavucontrol is not included with F11 by default. During testing,
pavucontrol was discovered to be seriously lacking in its ability to
control what needed to be controlled. It's still available in the
"Everything" (aka fedora) repository online, if you really want it.

alsamixer is the standard fix in F11. gst-mixer is the GUI mixer.
From: despen on
Allen Kistler <ackistler(a)oohay.moc> writes:

> despen(a)verizon.net wrote:

>>> What he should have said was "un-mute". However, you use 'alsamixer' to
>>> do that. If you see an 'MM' on a volume slider, it's muted, and press
>>> the 'M' key to unmute it. Press ESC to exit alsamixer. Then run
>>> "alsactl store" to save the settings. Do all this as root.
>>
>> I think with F11, he should be using pavucontrol.
>>
>> [snip]
>
> pavucontrol is not included with F11 by default. During testing,
> pavucontrol was discovered to be seriously lacking in its ability to
> control what needed to be controlled. It's still available in the
> "Everything" (aka fedora) repository online, if you really want it.
>
> alsamixer is the standard fix in F11. gst-mixer is the GUI mixer.

I'll take your word for it, but it's pretty non-intuitive
to control pulse with something written for alsa.

Looks like pulse still isn't quite done yet.
From: Allen Kistler on
despen(a)verizon.net wrote:
> Allen Kistler <ackistler(a)oohay.moc> writes:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> alsamixer is the standard fix in F11. gst-mixer is the GUI mixer.
>
> [snip]
>
> Looks like pulse still isn't quite done yet.

During F11 testing there was a lot of "discussion" (i.e., almost, but
not quite, flame wars) about that. The Xorg position was that they
purposefully wanted to simplify the user interfaces to hide "high-end"
"weird" "confusing" behavior from everyday users.

By the time Fedora includes an Xorg revision in distribution testing,
Xorg considers that revision feature-frozen. Rather than back-grading
to an Xorg revision with a more feature-rich volume control (because
Xorg is more than a GUI volume control), the Fedora solution was to swap
out pavucontrol for gst-mixer as the preferred GUI and use alsamixer for
the stuff gst-mixer couldn't do.

Fedora may not be the edgiest of the leading edge distributions, but one
of its objectives is to find bugs and gaps early. In F11 one could
argue, it achieved that objective as far as pavucontrol was concerned.
From: Joel Ross on
despen(a)verizon.net wrote:
> Allen Kistler <ackistler(a)oohay.moc> writes:
>
>> despen(a)verizon.net wrote:

>>> I think with F11, he should be using pavucontrol.
>>>
>>> [snip]
>> pavucontrol is not included with F11 by default. During testing,
>> pavucontrol was discovered to be seriously lacking in its ability to
>> control what needed to be controlled. It's still available in the
>> "Everything" (aka fedora) repository online, if you really want it.
>>
>> alsamixer is the standard fix in F11. gst-mixer is the GUI mixer.
>
> I'll take your word for it, but it's pretty non-intuitive
> to control pulse with something written for alsa.
>
> Looks like pulse still isn't quite done yet.

well I have this in my logs

Oct 20 19:07:44 zenith pulseaudio[3161]: reserve-wrap.c: Failed to
acquire reservation lock on device 'Audio0': Input/output error
Oct 20 19:07:44 zenith pulseaudio[3161]: reserve-wrap.c: Failed to
acquire reservation lock on device 'Audio1': Input/output error
Oct 20 19:07:44 zenith pulseaudio[3161]: module-alsa-card.c: Failed to
find a working profile.
Oct 20 19:07:44 zenith pulseaudio[3161]: module.c: Failed to load
module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id=1
name=usb_device_d8c_201_noserial_if0_sound_card_0
card_name=alsa_card.usb_device_d8c_201_noserial_if0_sound_card_0
tsched=1"): initialization failed.
Oct 20 19:07:44 zenith pulseaudio[3161]: ratelimit.c: 31339 events
suppressed

I might try removing pulse all together..