From: Ohmster on
J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote in news:1269607820_21(a)vo.lu:

[..]
> If so, disable the GL screensavers (regular old fashioned ones
> not using GL do not cause a problem) and turn off compiz special
> effects until they get a fix.

Ahhh, JG, did this problem just appear for you, did you have a stable
system prior? What distro/version?

My Xwindows always worked great in Fedora 12, I installed the new
repositories to get compiz-fusion and the fun really began. Cube rotate
(Rotate through workspaces as if they were on a 3D cube.) Skydome, and
all of the effects, smooth as silk, not a problem in the world. Once this
last update went through, it is game over. Any screensaver will lock it
up but the moment you bring compiz to work, try and rotate the cube, easy
task. It locks up immediately and has to "thinik it over for minutes"
before returning control of the system back to me. If the screensaver
locks up, not clt-alt-bclspace will get you free, even killing all x
sessons will not give back my local term, only rebooting seems to do it
as far as I can tell.

I reinstalled the nvidia drivers (k mod nvidia) and it did not help.
Should I reinstall compiz-fusion or will that fail as well? Configs do
not seem to be affected, all the stuff for grub and nvidia are in place.
Booting to an older kernel did not help.

Finally, what is the nvidia module called in Fedora 12? I was only
getting one module loaded during my x session and I think the one I need
is missing. Using lsmod to find out. Now I am at work and the machine is
sitting home and I can putty into it and guess what? I have TWO nvidia
modules now!

[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$ lsmod |grep nvidia
nvidia 8866964 0
i2c_core 21732 2 nvidia,i2c_viapro
[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$

During all of the problems, this lsmod would reveal ONLY i2c_core, and
there would be NO TRACE of module nvidia being loaded! I know, this
sounds whacky, but I am telling you the truth. Well, I cannot go home to
play with this now, but be sure I will check into this tonight. Why would
nvidia not be loaded when startx, xdm as root, or telinit 5 is run by
root?

My #1 question(s) to the newsgroups is:
How can I fix compiz-fusion to work smoothly with my Fedora 12 system
again once general system updates has hosed or broken something in the x
server's ability to do any 3D processing on an nvidial card?

Can anyone with a Fedora 12 nvidia system please do an lsmod while both
in xwindows and once with just terminal to see what should be loaded?
Thank you!

> Also, have you posted this bug on the Fedora tracking bug system?

No, and this is serious, I have to do it. Is that the same as buzilla? I
have a login for that and even the gnome desktop has a bug reporter that
sends the bugs in for you if you fill them out and have a login.

--
~Ohmster
From: Ohmster on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in

Ahh, help, at last!

[..]
> Should say I don't have much to say, Xorg.0.log could have been good
> to link to, as the out puts of /proc/driver/nvidia/registry,
> /proc/driver/nvidia/warnings/* (not README),
> /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card.

Yeah, that is the log I wanted, Xorg.0.log. I don't really know how to
find what is wrong by looking at it though. Perhaps if I post it,
somebody might give me an idea?

> I assume you did kill all X processes and rmmod the nvidia driver ant
> then started X again.

Yes, but not the nvidia module. I can only find one thing in lsmod that
says nvidia after it, I thought that the driver was module was called
"nvidia", but this is all I can find with lsmod:
i2c_core 21732 2 nvidia,i2c_viapro

[..]
> As far as I know there is no 0x
>
> Should be 1x, 2x, 4x.

Yes, I get 4x. I don't think that is relevent either.

> As you have less than 4G ram, don't use the PAE kernel, it will hurt
> you more than you gain (your gain is nothing).

Thanks, my wallpaper is gone now. Everyday the wallpaper would crash.
That is strange about Fedora 12 and gnome. As soon as you change the
wallpaper, you get daily crash reports about the wallpaper. Last time I
tried telinit 5 as root from a term instead of startx and when I finally
got my desktop back, plain blue gnome wallpaper.

Here is my Xorg log, can somebody give me some pointers please?

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: x86-02 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5
Current Operating System: Linux ohmster.com 2.6.32.9-70.fc12.i686.PAE #1
SMP Wed Mar 3 04:57:21 UTC
2010 i686
Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_ohmster-lv_root
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-su
n16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet rdblacklist=nouveau vga=0x318
vmalloc=256m
Build Date: 17 March 2010 03:17:00AM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.7.6-1.fc12
Current version of pixman: 0.16.6
Before reporting problems, check http://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Mar 26 02:55:33 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) | |-->Device "Videocard0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
(**) Option "AIGLX" "on"
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(==) FontPath set to:
catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d,
built-ins
(**) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(**) Extension "Composite" is enabled
(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
'vmmouse' will be disabled.
(WW) Disabling Keyboard0
(WW) Disabling Mouse0
(II) Loader magic: 0x821c900
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
X.Org XInput driver : 7.0
X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
(--) using VT number 7
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DRI2
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 190.53 Tue Dec 8 19:16:02 PST 2009
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01(a)00:00:0
(II) Loading sub module "fb"
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(II) Loading sub module "wfb"
(II) LoadModule: "wfb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
(II) Module wfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
(II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
(==) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) Mar 26 02:55:34 NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) Mar 26 02:55:34 NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and
Composite X extensions is
(II) Mar 26 02:55:34 NVIDIA(0): enabled.
(II) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 6800 (NV40) at
PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes
(--) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.40.02.41.00
(II) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Detected AGP rate: 2X
(--) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on
this GPU
(--) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce
6800 at PCI:1:0:0:
(--) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): ENVISIONEN-780 (CRT-0)
(--) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): ENVISIONEN-780 (CRT-0): 400.0 MHz maximum
pixel clock
(II) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: CRT-0
(II) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1024
x 768
(--) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (81, 81); computed from
"UseEdidDpi" X config
(--) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): option
(==) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.
(--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
(II) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Initialized AGP GART.
(II) Mar 26 02:55:35 NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) Mar 26 02:55:36 NVIDIA(0): Initialized OpenGL Acceleration
(==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling shared memory pixmaps
(II) Mar 26 02:55:36 NVIDIA(0): Initialized X Rendering Acceleration
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(II) Loading extension XINERAMA
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
(II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
(II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server
(II) Initializing extension GLX
(II) config/hal: Adding input device ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
(**) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: always reports core events
(**) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
(II) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: Found 3 mouse buttons
(II) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
(II) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: Found relative axes
(II) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
(II) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: Configuring as mouse
(**) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse"
(type: MOUSE)
(**) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(II) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: initialized for relative axes.
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
(type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105+inet"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(**) Option "xkb_options" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: always reports core events
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found 3 mouse buttons
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found relative axes
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found x and y relative axes
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Configuring as mouse
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Macintosh mouse button
emulation" (type: MOUSE)
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: (accel) keeping acceleration
scheme 1
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: initialized for relative axes.
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Power Button
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event0"
(II) Power Button: Found keys
(II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Power Button
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(II) Power Button: Found keys
(II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"

~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
(That is Message Body, not Subject!)
to pass my spam filter.
From: Ohmster on
J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote in news:1269607820_21(a)vo.lu:

[..]
> So have a look at your /var/log/kernel.log or equivalent and
> see if you are getting nasty errors in there when the GL screensaver
> or compiz GL special effects start running.
>
> If so, disable the GL screensavers (regular old fashioned ones
> not using GL do not cause a problem) and turn off compiz special
> effects until they get a fix.
[..]

Not screensavers but I appreciate the help. I got into X and was watching
tail - f /var/log/messages and nothing of significance to indicate
trouble. As soon as I try to rotate the compiz cube, the screen like
freezes up at weird angles (The cube is sort of "half turned".) and
compiz and X go nuts in top, between the two of them they chow down on
the entire CPU, no mouse, no control, nothing. Here is top while this is
going on:

I know it is hard to read because it is not lined up good in this shot
but in this screenout, X is using 83.4% CPU and compiz is at 15%.

14322 root 20 0 71292 29m 9152 R 83.4 1.9 1:38.75 X
14546 ohmster 20 0 65216 33m 6776 D 15.0 2.2 1:31.01 compiz
14867 root 20 0 2560 1108 824 R 0.6 0.1 0:01.81 top
1 root 20 0 2028 780 564 S 0.0 0.1 0:01.92 init
2 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 kthreadd
3 root RT 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 migration/0

I am still waiting to get my desktop back and it is not happening. the
cube won't settle down, now there are artifacts all over the screen.

14546 ohmster 20 0 65564 33m 7436 R 63.8 2.2 3:06.70 compiz
14322 root 20 0 71676 29m 9320 R 33.2 2.0 4:00.71 X

The percent number is right after the "R" in these lines. Compiz 63% and
X 33%, that means at this moment, 96% of the CPU is tied up doing NOTHING
and I have no control over my desktop. Waaaahhhhh!

I am getting really pissed about this. What can I do to fix this? Can I
"undo" the last update somehow or reinstall compiz again? I am going to
have to reboot the entire machine, when this happens, even killing X will
not give me the terminal back again. Ctl-Alt-Backspace don't even work,
but I am gmetting ready to try it again. Nope, it did not work. X and
compiz are at 65 & 33 again, no machine left for me to play with, all
gone with compiz and X doing nothing at all. This sucks. Will try killall
X as root. That worked, got my CLI back and the busiest process right now
is top itself using 1% CPU. Somebody please help with this!

From: Ohmster on
Steve Ackman <steve(a)SNIP-THIS.twoloonscoffee.com> wrote in

[..]

> Let's assume you didn't realize that Xorg was what
> you needed to search for. I see you did mention X11.
> So, had you done
> $ apropos X11
> you would have seen that one of the results was
>
> Xorg (1) - X11R7 X server
>
> at which time you would have had an AHA! moment, and
> then done a man Xorg (or at least one would hope).

Well, I didn't know about man -k but I do know about apropos. The pipe is
not working for me, I get bash complaining about command not found if I
put a pipe after apropos compiz or anything like that.

Thanks for the help, Steve.

compiz is now sitting at 19% doing nothing and God help me do something
3D like rotate the cube or switch a desktop workspace. Game over for 5
minutes until I get my keyboard and mouse back. Ugh, this update blows!
Now I gotta give up compiz! I used the yum history command to see what in
the hell got updated and ALL of the X11 stuff got updated, plus the
nvidia module, plus compiz. Tried to undo it with yum and of course too
many of the files were now locked in place because the OS was running. So
I just did a total yum update and it still ain't no good.

What a headache, that compiz was so nice too! Wonder if it needs
configuring? My monitor was no longer identified in xorg.conf and the
horizontal and vertical rates were totally wrong, what else could be
misconfigured now I wonder?

From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:
> "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in
>
> Ahh, help, at last!
>
> [..]
>> Should say I don't have much to say, Xorg.0.log could have been good
>> to link to, as the out puts of /proc/driver/nvidia/registry,
>> /proc/driver/nvidia/warnings/* (not README),
>> /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card.
>
> Yeah, that is the log I wanted, Xorg.0.log. I don't really know how to
> find what is wrong by looking at it though. Perhaps if I post it,
> somebody might give me an idea?
>
>> I assume you did kill all X processes and rmmod the nvidia driver ant
>> then started X again.
>
> Yes, but not the nvidia module. I can only find one thing in lsmod that
> says nvidia after it, I thought that the driver was module was called
> "nvidia", but this is all I can find with lsmod:
> i2c_core 21732 2 nvidia,i2c_viapro

Should be there, if it's not there, you will not get the "nvidia" for your
i2c_core.

lsmod | grep nvidia

> [..]
>> As far as I know there is no 0x
>>
>> Should be 1x, 2x, 4x.
>
> Yes, I get 4x. I don't think that is relevent either.

Oh, yes that can be relevant, I see that you have i2c_viapro loaded, which
indicates that your motherboard uses a VIA chipset, nVidia have a history of
troubles with VIA chipsets, there are some which you are forced to use the AGP
at lower speeds than 4x or else it will be unstable.
Check if yours are affected, it's mentioned in the nVidia drivers README file
in one of the appendixes.

>> As you have less than 4G ram, don't use the PAE kernel, it will hurt
>> you more than you gain (your gain is nothing).
>
> Thanks, my wallpaper is gone now. Everyday the wallpaper would crash.
> That is strange about Fedora 12 and gnome. As soon as you change the
> wallpaper, you get daily crash reports about the wallpaper. Last time I
> tried telinit 5 as root from a term instead of startx and when I finally
> got my desktop back, plain blue gnome wallpaper.
>
> Here is my Xorg log, can somebody give me some pointers please?

At least no critical warnings, but I still urge you to switch to a none PAE
kernel.

Checke your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see your module section

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
SubSection "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga"
EndSubSection
Load "glx"
Load "bitmap"
Load "i2c"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

That should be what you need, you can disable everything else.

How does your Device section look in the config? Think there can be options
that can cause trouble, but don't remember those out of my head.

--

//Aho