From: Ohmster on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in

The help desk is open!!! Hurray!

[..]
>> Yes, but not the nvidia module. I can only find one thing in lsmod
>> that says nvidia after it, I thought that the driver was module was
>> called "nvidia", but this is all I can find with lsmod:
>> i2c_core 21732 2 nvidia,i2c_viapro
>
> Should be there, if it's not there, you will not get the "nvidia" for
> your i2c_core.
>
> lsmod | grep nvidia

It is really there aho. I just did not look for it right. I have decided
to put relevent files online so as not to destroy formatting and so they
do not take up so much space in this reply.

http://home.comcast.net/~theohmster/linux/modules_nvidia.txt

>> [..]
>>> As far as I know there is no 0x
>>>
>>> Should be 1x, 2x, 4x.
>>
>> Yes, I get 4x. I don't think that is relevent either.
>
> Oh, yes that can be relevant, I see that you have i2c_viapro loaded,
> which indicates that your motherboard uses a VIA chipset, nVidia have
> a history of troubles with VIA chipsets, there are some which you are
> forced to use the AGP at lower speeds than 4x or else it will be
> unstable. Check if yours are affected, it's mentioned in the nVidia
> drivers README file in one of the appendixes.

I do have a VIA chipset and checked the messages file, AGP 4x does load.

>>> As you have less than 4G ram, don't use the PAE kernel, it will hurt
>>> you more than you gain (your gain is nothing).
>>
>> Thanks, my wallpaper is gone now. Everyday the wallpaper would crash.
>> That is strange about Fedora 12 and gnome. As soon as you change the
>> wallpaper, you get daily crash reports about the wallpaper. Last time
>> I tried telinit 5 as root from a term instead of startx and when I
>> finally got my desktop back, plain blue gnome wallpaper.
>>
>> Here is my Xorg log, can somebody give me some pointers please?
>
> At least no critical warnings, but I still urge you to switch to a
> none PAE kernel.

I changed grub.conf to default to image 0 instead of image 1, which was
the PAE kernel. See? No more PAE.

[ohmster(a)ohmster X11]$ uname -a
Linux ohmster.com 2.6.32.9-70.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Wed Mar 3 05:14:32 UTC
2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[ohmster(a)ohmster X11]$

> Checke your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see your module section

I do not have a "module section", but I added yours just to see if it
would help, it did not. Here is my current xorg.conf file:

http://home.comcast.net/~theohmster/linux/xorg.conf.txt

> Section "Module"
> Load "dbe"
> Load "extmod"
> SubSection "extmod"
> Option "omit xfree86-dga"
> EndSubSection
> Load "glx"
> Load "bitmap"
> Load "i2c"
> Load "vbe"
> EndSection
>
> That should be what you need, you can disable everything else.
>
> How does your Device section look in the config? Think there can be
> options that can cause trouble, but don't remember those out of my
> head.

Thank you so much for helping aho. The issue is all with compiz. Compiz
worked GREAT when initially installed and I added the free and non-free
repositories to yum for compiz-fusion. I had it all, rotating cube,
animated skydome background, terrific 3D performance with my GeForce 6800
AGP video card. I always install the updates when the gnome update applet
tells me that there are updates. It is not uncommon to see 150 updates
ready to install, so, I installed them. After that, when I rebooted, I
found my machine frozen at the 3D molecule screensaver. Now, any attempt
to use compize results in two processes eating the entire CPU, freezing
the machine. I can ssh into the machine from 'doze and see this when I
run top. I use the yum history command to see what the updates were, dam,
the entire x, video driver, and compiz packages were completely updated,
plus the kernel! yum history prints a dandy list of what the updates
were, I have posted it for you or anyone that might be able to help, here
are the updates that were installed that killed compiz:

http://home.comcast.net/~theohmster/linux/update_44.txt

I can also "undo" any updates done by the system or myself with the yum
history command. I tried to undo system update #44 with the undo
command. It undid a LOT but could not do a complete undo because many of
the updated packages were now running on the system like the video
driver, kernel, etc. So I did a yum update again to at least give me
consistency. I also tried to downgrade kmod-nvidia with yum and
succeeded, but it did not help so I re-updated kmod-nvidia again.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear: No matter how bad the gnome-
session is locking up or I am losing control, if I can ssh into the
system and kill the compiz process, gnome-session returns to normal and I
have complete and rapid control of the system. My switch workspace applet
does not work without compiz as it is assigned to rotate the cube and
without compiz, there is no desktop cube to rotate. I *love* compiz and
want it back so bad, I love the zoom feature and use it all the time.

All of this trouble is that compiz is not playing nice with all of these
updates and even compiz-fusion itself was updated. I joined the compiz
forum at http://www.compiz.org/ to see if I can get any help there. So
far I am waiting and have to dash out the door now to give computer
lessons. If you or anyone has a similar experience or can help, please
do, this is driving me crazy and it will be archived by google to help
others in the future.

Thank you aho so much for jumping in there and rolling up your sleeves.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:
> "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in

>>> Yes, I get 4x. I don't think that is relevent either.
>> Oh, yes that can be relevant, I see that you have i2c_viapro loaded,
>> which indicates that your motherboard uses a VIA chipset, nVidia have
>> a history of troubles with VIA chipsets, there are some which you are
>> forced to use the AGP at lower speeds than 4x or else it will be
>> unstable. Check if yours are affected, it's mentioned in the nVidia
>> drivers README file in one of the appendixes.
>
> I do have a VIA chipset and checked the messages file, AGP 4x does load.

I see that they have taken care of the bug for VIA KX133 by not setting to 4x,
back when I still had my VIA card, they allowed 4x value, but you got a really
unstable system.

>> Checke your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see your module section
>
> I do not have a "module section", but I added yours just to see if it
> would help, it did not. Here is my current xorg.conf file:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~theohmster/linux/xorg.conf.txt

Try to disable
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

And in your device section add the following, see if it helps:

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
Option "BackingStore" "False"

I'm not sure your grafics card supports all the options, but I think you need
to set BackingStor to false and AllowGLXWithComposite to true, at least that
is required for me to have all the effects in KDE4 without visual defects.

> Thank you so much for helping aho. The issue is all with compiz. Compiz
> worked GREAT when initially installed and I added the free and non-free
> repositories to yum for compiz-fusion. I had it all, rotating cube,
> animated skydome background, terrific 3D performance with my GeForce 6800
> AGP video card. I always install the updates when the gnome update applet
> tells me that there are updates. It is not uncommon to see 150 updates
> ready to install, so, I installed them. After that, when I rebooted, I
> found my machine frozen at the 3D molecule screensaver. Now, any attempt
> to use compize results in two processes eating the entire CPU, freezing
> the machine.

I see that there been an X update, when I did my switch to 7.4, I did rebuild
quite a lot of packages to get things to work, and another thing that can
happen during X updates is that the nvidia driver isn't anymore the one which
supplies the opengl, do check with

glxinfo | grep -A 1 NVIDIA

If you don't get the matches, then reinstall the nvidia driver.

> I can ssh into the machine from 'doze and see this when I
> run top. I use the yum history command to see what the updates were, dam,
> the entire x, video driver, and compiz packages were completely updated,
> plus the kernel! yum history prints a dandy list of what the updates
> were, I have posted it for you or anyone that might be able to help, here
> are the updates that were installed that killed compiz:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~theohmster/linux/update_44.txt

I see that you have ATI drivers installed too, there been issues with an
environment with both nvidia and amd graphics cards (blame nvidia for the
trouble) with later versions of nvidia driver.

> All of this trouble is that compiz is not playing nice with all of these
> updates and even compiz-fusion itself was updated. I joined the compiz
> forum at http://www.compiz.org/ to see if I can get any help there. So
> far I am waiting and have to dash out the door now to give computer
> lessons. If you or anyone has a similar experience or can help, please
> do, this is driving me crazy and it will be archived by google to help
> others in the future.

This do give me the feeling is with the opengl support, you would get the same
kind of troubles running KDE4 or Metisse. As you have KDE4 installed, you
could test and see if you get troubles there too, if not, then it could be
more compiz specific problem.

--

//Aho
From: Ohmster on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in

[..]
> I see that there been an X update, when I did my switch to 7.4, I did
> rebuild quite a lot of packages to get things to work, and another
> thing that can happen during X updates is that the nvidia driver isn't
> anymore the one which supplies the opengl, do check with
>
> glxinfo | grep -A 1 NVIDIA
>
> If you don't get the matches, then reinstall the nvidia driver.
[..]

Thank you aho,

But it is too late for me now, have to go to bed for work in the morning,
but I posted a LOT of info on the compiz forum, perhaps that will give
you guys an idea of where the problem is. I will also come back tomorrow
and try some of the arguments you suggested and I sure hope that they
help. I did check the glxinfo and it is in the reply below:
I can run top in a term window and when I do a startx, the gnome-session
takes so long to come up, it never did that before. Not before the last
Fedora 12 update. Thank you so much for helping Adam and anyone else that
can help. The issue is all with compiz. Compiz worked GREAT when
initially installed and I added the free and non-free repositories to yum
for compiz-fusion. I had it all, rotating cube, animated skydome
background, terrific 3D performance with my GeForce 6800 AGP video card.
Super sleek and super fast. No stumbling or hesitating. I always install
[...]

Are my nvidia drivers being loaded? Yes, see link:

http://home.comcast.net/~theohmster/linux/modules_nvidia.txt

Let me make one thing perfectly clear: No matter how bad the gnome-
session is locking up or I am losing control, if I can ssh into the
system and kill the compiz process, gnome-session returns to normal and I
have complete and rapid control of the system. My switch workspace applet
does not work without compiz as it is assigned to rotate the cube and
without compiz, there is no desktop cube to rotate. I *love* compiz and
want it back so bad, I love the zoom feature and use it all the time.

It takes forever now when I type "startx" into my CLI (I love run level
3) to get my x desktop up and running. I watch what is going on with an
ssh session from my windows box into the Linux machine and run top.

At CLI now, top is using the most CPU with 1%. Giving the startx command
now, watching top in remote term window:
Screen went black for several seconds, nothing unusual in top. Got my
wallpaper now, nothing else, got my desktop now. compiz is at 7.9%. Let's
try to rotate the desktop cube... It got halfway around and froze. compiz
at 73% X 25% CPU. X 98.5%, I got no more mouse. X at 99% in top. Still no
mouse or control. X pegged above 98% all the time, no control of gnome
desktop. Let's kill the compiz process and see what happens. Man I cannot
even find compiz this time, killing it always brought my desktop right
back. X at 98.4%. I can do an Alt-Ctl-Backspace but I bet it won't work,
it will get ugly, and the only way to fix it will be to reboot. It did
not do anything. Cannot find compiz this time in top. Odd, between X and
compiz, they both chow down over 95% CPU unless you boot to desktop and
do NOTHING. Okay, killall X as root...

....X won't die! Oh, my monitor now went black. Yep, it got ugly. Now I
have a black monitor with a frozen white dash at the top. Only thing I
can do now is reboot from this term window. Will then go find the xorg
logs and post them to see if we can get some light on what is going on.

Yeah, you can see where the gnome-session hung at the bottom.

http://home.comcast.net/~theohmster/linux/Xorg.0.log.txt

Can anybody help me get compiz working again, nice and smooth and slick
like it used to without hanging my system all the time? This sucks.
Please help.