From: Matt Giwer on
12 was released a few days ago and despite my usual "let the other
gut find the problems" approach I upgraded a recent Fedora 11 install. The
11 install was less that two weeks ago on a new machine.

1) It took forever. The install and upgrade times seem to be in direct
proportion to the release number.

2) The first thing I did was a yum upgrade (essentially the same as update)
and it is now in the process of downloading 2.5 GB of upgrade/update
material.

3) Huh!?! This is more than double my usual month or two procrastination
requires to upgrade.

3a) Note: most changes are in fast developing apps. What you see in your
regular upgrades would appear to be a lot more than this but an upgrade
after install should only see the most recent.

I am aware that a release needs be frozen long before the release
date to work out the bugs. This might as well have been frozen just after
Fedora 11 was released. The entire install disk is only 3.5GB.

Is Redhat telling me to use network install?

--
The conundrum of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is simple to state.
Is God circumcized?
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Nov 19, 7:22 am, Matt Giwer <matt(a)localhost> wrote:
>         12 was released a few days ago and despite my usual "let the other
> gut find the problems" approach I upgraded a recent Fedora 11 install. The
> 11 install was less that two weeks ago on a new machine.
>
> 1) It took forever. The install and upgrade times seem to be in direct
> proportion to the release number.
>
> 2) The first thing I did was a yum upgrade (essentially the same as update)
> and it is now in the process of downloading 2.5 GB of upgrade/update
> material.
>
> 3) Huh!?! This is more than double my usual month or two procrastination
> requires to upgrade.
>
> 3a) Note: most changes are in fast developing apps. What you see in your
> regular upgrades would appear to be a lot more than this but an upgrade
> after install should only see the most recent.
>
>         I am aware that a release needs be frozen long before the release
> date to work out the bugs. This might as well have been frozen just after
> Fedora 11 was released. The entire install disk is only 3.5GB.
>
>         Is Redhat telling me to use network install?

No, network install typically works with the base OS repository unless
you carefully point it to the "Everything" repository, not the bare
"os" repository. The Everything repository is *insanely* large:
keeping the maps for Alien Arena and other first shooters in it seems
nutty to me, and makes keeping a local mirror more difficult.