From: John Goche on

Hello,

I recently burnt a Fedora Core 11 DVD. When I insert it and
boot the system it says something like "booting in 10 seconds"
or something and the 10 decreases one second at a time until
once done the screen goes blank instead of showing something
like with the ubuntu dvd which I was able to burn and use. The
hardware I am using consists of a Sony VAIO laptop.

Could anyone suggest what might be going wrong?

Thanks,

John Goche
From: B Sellers on
John Goche wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently burnt a Fedora Core 11 DVD. When I insert it and
> boot the system it says something like "booting in 10 seconds"
> or something and the 10 decreases one second at a time until
> once done the screen goes blank instead of showing something
> like with the ubuntu dvd which I was able to burn and use. The
> hardware I am using consists of a Sony VAIO laptop.
>
> Could anyone suggest what might be going wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Goche

Did you check the md5(check)sum to make sure you have
a good iso before you made the disk?
To download successfully my Mandriva Linux Free 2009.1
took me 3 tries and with a DSL line that was 3 nites spent
downloading the file.

later
bliss
From: Stefan Patric on
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:29:34 -0800, John Goche wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently burnt a Fedora Core 11 DVD. When I insert it and boot the
> system it says something like "booting in 10 seconds" or something and
> the 10 decreases one second at a time until once done the screen goes
> blank instead of showing something like with the ubuntu dvd which I was
> able to burn and use. The hardware I am using consists of a Sony VAIO
> laptop.
>
> Could anyone suggest what might be going wrong?

Did you checksum the ISO and the DVD after burning it to verify there
were no errors?

How long did you wait after the screen went blank before concluding
something was wrong?

During the time you were waiting, was the DVD drive being accessed or was
it just idle?

Have you tried booting another system with the DVD? Preferably, not
another Vaio notebook.

Have you tried any of the other Fedora 11 boot options? If not, then do.

What's the specs on your Vaio?

Stef
From: Matt Giwer on
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, John Goche wrote:

> Hello,

> I recently burnt a Fedora Core 11 DVD. When I insert it and boot the
> system it says something like "booting in 10 seconds" or something and the
> 10 decreases one second at a time until once done the screen goes blank
> instead of showing something like with the ubuntu dvd which I was able to
> burn and use. The hardware I am using consists of a Sony VAIO laptop.

> Could anyone suggest what might be going wrong?

Ancient mistake everyone has made many more times than they like to
admit. Did you burn or copy the ISO? Load it from a running system and see
what is on it. If one file then you copied it. Burn again and read the
options carefully.

--
If the world adopts Israel's view of the Goldstone report then the world
at least owes Milosevic a posthumous apology and possibly also to Hilter.
From: John Goche on
On Nov 19, 12:27 pm, Matt Giwer <matt(a)localhost> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, John Goche wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I recently burnt a Fedora Core 11 DVD. When I insert it and boot the
> > system it says something like "booting in 10 seconds" or something and the
> > 10 decreases one second at a time until once done the screen goes blank
> > instead of showing something like with the ubuntu dvd which I was able to
> > burn and use. The hardware I am using consists of a Sony VAIO laptop.
> > Could anyone suggest what might be going wrong?
>
>         Ancient mistake everyone has made many more times than they like to
> admit. Did you burn or copy the ISO? Load it from a running system and see
> what is on it. If one file then you copied it. Burn again and read the
> options carefully.

Well, I am not sure what is going wrong. I have tried burning the new
Fedora
Core 12 onto a DVD instead of onto a CD but I don't think it makes a
difference.
This time when I tried to boot from such DVD I get the following:

First I get a screen saying: [Automatic boot in 10 seconds...].
This is followed by a blue screen with a bubble in the middle which
slowly fills up. And then I get the following screen:

[No root device found.]
[Boot failed. Sleeping forever.]

I don't see why this happens. After all if the DVD makes it thus far
I don't see why it should be burned have errors when I was also
able to open it and browse the contents of the filesystems in it.

Thanks,

John Goche