From: Doug Freyburger on
Matt Giwer wrote:

> Ancient mistake everyone has made many more times than they like to
> admit. Did you burn or copy the ISO? Load it from a running system and see
> what is on it. If one file then you copied it. Burn again and read the
> options carefully.

Ah, the mistake of writing it as a data disc with the ISO image as a
single data file on it instead of as an ISO disc with the files inside
the image visible directly. I'm one of the everyone who's made that
mistake. ;^) I've even made that mistake on both Linux and Solaris
installation discs over the years.

It looks like John Goche is as well -

> wodim
> -v
> dev=/dev/sr0
> speed=24
> driveropts=burnfree
> -dao
> fs=16m
> -data
> -nopad
> /home/nzanella/Desktop/Fedora-12-i686-Live.iso

If I read this right the "-data" switch says to make a data file.
Depending on the burner application it's usually "-iso" not "-data".
From: John Goche on
On Nov 20, 5:25 pm, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Matt Giwer wrote:
>
> >    Ancient mistake everyone has made many more times than they like to
> > admit. Did you burn or copy the ISO? Load it from a running system and see
> > what is on it. If one file then you copied it. Burn again and read the
> > options carefully.
>
> Ah, the mistake of writing it as a data disc with the ISO image as a
> single data file on it instead of as an ISO disc with the files inside
> the image visible directly. I'm one of the everyone who's made that
> mistake.  ;^)  I've even made that mistake on both Linux and Solaris
> installation discs over the years.
>
> It looks like John Goche is as well -
>
> >    wodim
> >    -v
> >    dev=/dev/sr0
> >    speed=24
> >    driveropts=burnfree
> >    -dao
> >    fs=16m
> >    -data
> >    -nopad
> >    /home/nzanella/Desktop/Fedora-12-i686-Live.iso
>
> If I read this right the "-data" switch says to make a data file.
> Depending on the burner application it's usually "-iso" not "-data".

OK, so this time I have downloaded the ISO from Ubuntu Linux and
tried to write the CD at a low speed of 4X using the Linux brasero
disk buring utility to burn a disk image. And so as usual I end up
with this CD with the following files and folders in the top level
directory: EFI, isolinux, LiveOS and GPL (and nothing else).

Seems fine, but then when I try to use the CD by booting
from it I get:

Failed to boot, sleeping forever.

So now I am really stuck on this one.
Is my BD-ROM drive somewhat broken or something or what?

Thanks,

John Goche
From: felmon on
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 07:27:17 -0800, John Goche wrote:

> So now I am really stuck on this one. Is my BD-ROM drive somewhat broken
> or something or what?

that would be one of my guesses but did you do the checksum people have
suggested?

just today I tried booting Fedora 12 and had the error you reported
originally. in my case, the problem was solved by removing the little usb
'stick': Fedora was trying to boot from it!

but in your case, given all the different burns you have tried, I would
start to suspect hardware.

try cleaning the dvd gear.

if you have another computer or can use someone's, see if it boots up
your dvds.

Felmon
From: Matt Giwer on
John Goche wrote:
> On Nov 19, 12:27 pm, Matt Giwer <matt(a)localhost> wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, John Goche wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I recently burnt a Fedora Core 11 DVD. When I insert it and boot the
>>> system it says something like "booting in 10 seconds" or something and the
>>> 10 decreases one second at a time until once done the screen goes blank
>>> instead of showing something like with the ubuntu dvd which I was able to
>>> burn and use. The hardware I am using consists of a Sony VAIO laptop.
>>> Could anyone suggest what might be going wrong?
>> Ancient mistake everyone has made many more times than they like to
>> admit. Did you burn or copy the ISO? Load it from a running system and see
>> what is on it. If one file then you copied it. Burn again and read the
>> options carefully.

> Well, I am not sure what is going wrong. I have tried burning the new
> Fedora
> Core 12 onto a DVD instead of onto a CD but I don't think it makes a
> difference.
> This time when I tried to boot from such DVD I get the following:

> First I get a screen saying: [Automatic boot in 10 seconds...].
> This is followed by a blue screen with a bubble in the middle which
> slowly fills up. And then I get the following screen:

> [No root device found.]
> [Boot failed. Sleeping forever.]

> I don't see why this happens. After all if the DVD makes it thus far
> I don't see why it should be burned have errors when I was also
> able to open it and browse the contents of the filesystems in it.

Now I am confused. The "bubble" is what you get after the system is installed
and you are booting from the HD. Exactly what did you install or do before you
got this problem? Did you install the system?

When you boot the install disk you should get nothing but text messages which
are a no particular value. Then should come some questions on language,
keyboard type and such in ascii graphics.

--
If the world adopts Israel's view of the Goldstone report then the world
at least owes Milosevic a posthumous apology and possibly also to Hilter.