From: Al Williams on
Office 2003 SP3 apparently removed all associations for .TIF files when I
installed it on my 2003 terminal server. Unfortunately, this breaks FAX
viewing and previewing (which MS had to know it would). I found KB 938813
which indicates the users need to add the associations back manually. When
I try this on a TS session it can't be done as users are read-only in the
Folder Options->File Types tab.

How do I fix this on terminal server? Preferably at the server without
having to update or visit each user.

Thanks.

--
Allan Williams

From: Peter Lawton on
File associations are per machine not per user so you only have to change
them on each terminal servers. The complication is that changing file
associations is disabled on terminal servers to prevent one user changing
them for all users.

To enable changing the associations change the following registry entry:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoFileAssociate"=word:00000000

Then in explorer :-

1 On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
2 Click the File Types tab.
3 In the Extensions column under Registered file types, select TIF.
4 Click Change.
5 In the Open With dialog box, click Microsoft Office Document Imaging under
Programs.
6 Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of
file check box, and then click OK.

Then lock changing associations again:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoFileAssociate"=dword:00000001

Peter Lawton

From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
Users can have personal file associations, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\SOFTWARE\Classes, and they will override the associations in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes, as documented here:

257592 - Changes in File Types and File Association Features in
Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257592
Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Peter Lawton" <dummy(a)dummy.domain> wrote on 18 okt 2007 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

From: Peter Lawton on
You're very right of course, I was making an assumption that as these were
terminal servers it was unlikely that users had had their own personal
associations set, but it is possible they may have.

You have raised an interesting point though, would the Office service pack 3
that removed these associations in the first place, and caused this guy's
problems, have removed them if they'd been set on a per-user basis as well
as in the global machine associations. Or does SP3 only remove the global
associations?

Peter Lawton

From: TP on
Hi Peter,

It would not remove the per user associations during
install (they would not be accessible for most users). It is
possible that it could add a Just In Time Setup entry that
did this when each user logged on, but that is unlikely.

-TP

Peter Lawton wrote:
> You're very right of course, I was making an assumption that as these
> were terminal servers it was unlikely that users had had their own
> personal associations set, but it is possible they may have.
>
> You have raised an interesting point though, would the Office service
> pack 3 that removed these associations in the first place, and caused
> this guy's problems, have removed them if they'd been set on a
> per-user basis as well as in the global machine associations. Or does
> SP3 only remove the global associations?
>
> Peter Lawton
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: terminal server under attack?