From: David Mark on
On Dec 7, 6:54 am, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/09 11:50, Mark Smith wrote:
>
> > Oh, and for anyone else that is interested, I found an option 5. Ajax
> > uploads seem to be triggerable from script:
>
> >http://valums.com/wp-content/uploads/ajax-upload/demo-jquery.htm
>
> Did you look at how this was actually implemented? Apart from requiring
> JQuery, that demo page has file upload fields with opacity:0 overlayed
> above its buttons and links. I'd say this qualifies as
>
> | #3 Use some hacky CSS and overlays to style the file picker.

Yes. Most Web developers (or "designers") want everything to look
exactly the way they want it to look and never mind what the user
agent thinks. CSS "resets", brittle hacks, anything goes if it makes
it look exactly the same in IE, FF and Safari. It's backwards as the
developers of the user agents probably had a good idea of what sort of
default style would work best for inputs (buttons particularly).

> They're also moving these fields around whenever the mouse moves, which
> causes the mouse cursor to blink very fast in Firefox 3.0.

Always nice. :)

> Worst of all,

How could it get worse?

> they initiate the upload as soon as a file has been selected (before the
> user submits the form).

Oh brother.

> This is *NOT* how forms usually work; I hope
> this behavior can be disabled.

I hope nobody is dense enough to use this thing.

> Now try turning off CSS and/or JavaScript -> upload fields are broken or
> missing :-(

But would would disable CSS and/or JS? Seriously, they've excluded
scores of corporate and mobile users, handicapped people, sailors,
people who hate JS and/or CSS, etc. But, on the upside, their buttons
will all look alike on their test machines. That's the mentality.

> As far as I can see, PPK's example has the same problem.

Unsurprising. :(

> For what it's worth, I don't even try to style these elements anymore.

That's the best policy. Usability always trumps "coolness". Don't
see marquees around much anymore and eventually clown buttons will go
away too.

> just explain the situation to the client, and put the upload field at
> the very end of the form, so it doesn't mess up the rest of the layout.

Not sure how the default button style would mess up a layout. Clash
perhaps. But the end is a good place for them anyway.
From: Mark Smith on
> > I don't want to change the layout or behavior, I just want to make the
> > "Browse" button look the same as all the other buttons on the page. It
> > looks weird otherwise.
>
> No, the other ones look weird.  ;)

So, you are in favor of getting rid of CSS styling of any buttons?

Nice.

> > Oh, and for anyone else that is interested, I found an option 5. Ajax
> > uploads seem to be triggerable from script:
>
> >http://valums.com/wp-content/uploads/ajax-upload/demo-jquery.htm
>
> I see.  And it uses what?

I'm just saying it's obviously possible to do.

Not advocating lifting this guys implementation.
From: Mark Smith on
On Dec 7, 11:54 am, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/09 11:50, Mark Smith wrote:
>
> > Oh, and for anyone else that is interested, I found an option 5. Ajax
> > uploads seem to be triggerable from script:
>
> >http://valums.com/wp-content/uploads/ajax-upload/demo-jquery.htm
>
> Did you look at how this was actually implemented? Apart from requiring
> JQuery, that demo page has file upload fields with opacity:0 overlayed
> above its buttons and links. I'd say this qualifies as

Like I said, not advocating lifting his implementation.

If it's doable in jQuery, as jQuery is just a framework, it must be
possible to do with pure JavaScript also.

> For what it's worth, I don't even try to style these elements anymore. I
> just explain the situation to the client, and put the upload field at
> the very end of the form, so it doesn't mess up the rest of the layout.

Might have to do that.

Who is responsible for deciding that file inputs should not be styled
but text inputs and buttons, (that compose a file input) can be? And
what were they smoking at the time?

From: rf on
Mark Smith wrote:
> On Dec 7, 11:54 am, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> If it's doable in jQuery, as jQuery is just a framework, it must be
> possible to do with pure JavaScript also.

And just what do you think jQuery is? Not pure javascript? Just what do you
think jQuery is?

From: David Mark on
On Dec 7, 7:38 am, Mark Smith <marksmith5...(a)jungle-monkey.com> wrote:
> > > I don't want to change the layout or behavior, I just want to make the
> > > "Browse" button look the same as all the other buttons on the page. It
> > > looks weird otherwise.
>
> > No, the other ones look weird.  ;)
>
> So, you are in favor of getting rid of CSS styling of any buttons?
>
> Nice.

Don't you think having them work for most (if not all) users is more
important than making them match your site? Nothing wrong with
colors, BTW (just realize that they may be rejected by the browser and/
or user). Best the padding, borders, outlines, etc. alone.

> > > Oh, and for anyone else that is interested, I found an option 5. Ajax
> > > uploads seem to be triggerable from script:
>
> > >http://valums.com/wp-content/uploads/ajax-upload/demo-jquery.htm
>
> > I see.  And it uses what?
>
> I'm just saying it's obviously possible to do.

It uses one of the four (bad) choices you enumerated. And does it
quite badly, with jQuery (of all things). Good luck with that!

> Not advocating lifting this guys implementation.

Trouble is that posting the link will lead others to follow it, assume
the thing "just works", etc. Next thing you know, it's all over the
Web and the author is emboldened to publish more bad scripts.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Help with a Table Wanted
Next: background shorthand