From: David Mark on
On Dec 8, 8:36 am, Mark Smith <marksmith5...(a)jungle-monkey.com> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 1:10 pm, Andrew <val...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, I'm just curios why you don't like jQuery so much? It has some
> > flaws, but it does what it promises really well. Quote from jquery.com
>
> > jQuery is js library that simplifies HTML document traversing,
> > event handling, animating, and Ajax interactions for rapid web
> > development.
>
> > There are the things jQuery can really help with, making your code
> > more readable.
>
> First thanks for finding this post and writing back to clarify how
> your component was intended to be used.
>
> I still can't believe simple things like WIDTH, LINE-HEIGHT, PADDING
> and BORDER don't style file inputs in firefox. At least in IE, I can
> align the control nicely on the form. In FF it just looks terrible. My
> client might just have to live with that.
>
> I half agree with you about jQuery.

Then you are half-wrong.

> In the Real World (tm)

What world do you think you are on?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/d2c0407a7fc2e33a#
From: David Mark on
On Dec 8, 9:15 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Smith wrote:
> > I didn't see anyone advocate jQuery, your anti jquery rant just seemed
> > out of context.
>
> > Glad you got it off your chest though. ;)
>
> Rant? Try asking about the virtues of JQuery in alt.comp.lang.javascript
> to the folks that really deal with JavaScript and you will get a
> detailed and spirited dissertation on what is the problem with JQuery.

The folks that really deal with JS are exclusively in the alt branch?
From: David Mark on
On Dec 8, 10:49 am, Mark Smith <marksmith5...(a)jungle-monkey.com>
wrote:

[...]

> > Good.  Leave it alone.  You have no idea how wide the button needs to
> > be.  The UA does.  ;)
>
> Lets just do away with styling all together then. Just serve raw text
> - let the UA decide how it should look.

Raw text? Are you starting a new discussion?

> Next you'll be telling me not to use placeholders. "The UA knows best
> where things should go..." Ridiculous.

Placeholders? And you said it, not me.

> > > Best not to use border and padding to style my inputs? Ha, thats
> > > funny, you must have very undemanding clients.
>
> > You are supposed to be the expert.  You have to explain to clients
> > what is practical and what is not.
>
> Despite that we 'experts' know that functionality and appearance are
> two seperate things. Form elements with differently sized, differently
> styled inputs just looks bad and unprofessional.

No, using bizarre hacks to try to force the issue is unprofessional.
Professionals know what is practical. If it looks "bad" (to you),
that's too bad.

> Leaving everything unstyled as you are recommending does not look very
> 'Web 2.0'.

I didn't recommend "leaving everything unstyled". And what does "Web
2.0" have to do with CSS?

> > > My iphone handles these attributes fine btw.
>
> > So?  All you can do is make the buttons harder to identify and
> > possibly harder to touch.
>
> This is a red herring, we have a seperate front end for mobile users.

Of course you do. ;)
From: Mark Smith on
On Dec 8, 4:00 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 8:36 am, Mark Smith <marksmith5...(a)jungle-monkey.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 1:10 pm, Andrew <val...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Also, I'm just curios why you don't like jQuery so much? It has some
> > > flaws, but it does what it promises really well. Quote from jquery.com
>
> > > jQuery is js library that simplifies HTML document traversing,
> > > event handling, animating, and Ajax interactions for rapid web
> > > development.
>
> > > There are the things jQuery can really help with, making your code
> > > more readable.
>
> > First thanks for finding this post and writing back to clarify how
> > your component was intended to be used.
>
> > I still can't believe simple things like WIDTH, LINE-HEIGHT, PADDING
> > and BORDER don't style file inputs in firefox. At least in IE, I can
> > align the control nicely on the form. In FF it just looks terrible. My
> > client might just have to live with that.
>
> > I half agree with you about jQuery.
>
> Then you are half-wrong.
>

> > In the Real World (tm)
>
> What world do you think you are on?

One where deliverables come before ideologies.
From: David Mark on
On Dec 8, 11:08 am, Mark Smith <marksmith5...(a)jungle-monkey.com>
wrote:
> On Dec 8, 4:00 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > First thanks for finding this post and writing back to clarify how
> > > your component was intended to be used.
>
> > > I still can't believe simple things like WIDTH, LINE-HEIGHT, PADDING
> > > and BORDER don't style file inputs in firefox. At least in IE, I can
> > > align the control nicely on the form. In FF it just looks terrible. My
> > > client might just have to live with that.
>
> > > I half agree with you about jQuery.
>
> > Then you are half-wrong.
>
> > > In the Real World (tm)
>
> > What world do you think you are on?
>
> One where deliverables come before ideologies.

In other words, you have no idea what you are talking about. :)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Help with a Table Wanted
Next: background shorthand