From: Harlan Messinger on
David Mark wrote:
> On Dec 7, 6:54 am, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 07/12/09 11:50, Mark Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, and for anyone else that is interested, I found an option 5. Ajax
>>> uploads seem to be triggerable from script:
>>> http://valums.com/wp-content/uploads/ajax-upload/demo-jquery.htm
>> Did you look at how this was actually implemented? Apart from requiring
>> JQuery, that demo page has file upload fields with opacity:0 overlayed
>> above its buttons and links. I'd say this qualifies as
>>
>> | #3 Use some hacky CSS and overlays to style the file picker.
>
> Yes. Most Web developers (or "designers") want everything to look
> exactly the way they want it to look and never mind what the user
> agent thinks. CSS "resets", brittle hacks, anything goes if it makes
> it look exactly the same in IE, FF and Safari. It's backwards as the
> developers of the user agents probably had a good idea of what sort of
> default style would work best for inputs (buttons particularly).

Imagine if every song you downloaded were to impose its producer's own
conception of how music player controls should look on your music
player, or if the display of the volume control bar on your TV screen
depended on what channel or program you were watching. Perhaps a station
broadcasting a slasher film would want your volume control display to
look like it was dripping with blood. Wouldn't that be awesome? (being
ironic)
From: Branco on
Harlan Messinger wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
<snip>
> > Yes.  Most Web developers (or "designers") want everything to look
> > exactly the way they want it to look and never mind what the user
> > agent thinks.  CSS "resets", brittle hacks, anything goes if it makes
> > it look exactly the same in IE, FF and Safari.  It's backwards as the
> > developers of the user agents probably had a good idea of what sort of
> > default style would work best for inputs (buttons particularly).
>
> Imagine if every song you downloaded were to impose its producer's own
> conception of how music player controls should look on your music
> player, or if the display of the volume control bar on your TV screen
> depended on what channel or program you were watching. Perhaps a station
> broadcasting a slasher film would want your volume control display to
> look like it was dripping with blood. Wouldn't that be awesome? (being
> ironic)
<snip>

You are comparing apples to bananas. The media player where a movie or
music is played isn't part of the nature of that movie or music. On
the other side, the visual aspects of the page are the very nature of
web pages (duh...).

Arguing that web designers shouldn't try to change certain visual
aspects of the page (such as buttons) because these features were
conceived this way is the same as saying (using your examples) that
all music players should only use hand made accustic instruments, or
all movie makers should create silent and black and white pieces,
because that's how music and movies where originally conceived by pre-
historic musicians and movie pioneers of yore (being ironic, too).

IMHO, let the designer try it. If it doesn't work the masses will shy
away from that site and run like crazy to the sites where buttons look
like buttons and form fields are bare (ops, boarding sarcasm, here).

Best regards,

Branco.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Harlan Messinger wrote:

> Imagine if every song you downloaded were to impose its producer's own
> conception of how music player controls should look on your music
> player, or if the display of the volume control bar on your TV screen
> depended on what channel or program you were watching.

Indeed. Then you would know you had an Apple Mac ;-)

Perhaps a station
> broadcasting a slasher film would want your volume control display to
> look like it was dripping with blood. Wouldn't that be awesome? (being
> ironic)

Just buy a mac..
From: Harlan Messinger on
Branco wrote:
> Harlan Messinger wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Yes. Most Web developers (or "designers") want everything to look
>>> exactly the way they want it to look and never mind what the user
>>> agent thinks. CSS "resets", brittle hacks, anything goes if it makes
>>> it look exactly the same in IE, FF and Safari. It's backwards as the
>>> developers of the user agents probably had a good idea of what sort of
>>> default style would work best for inputs (buttons particularly).
>> Imagine if every song you downloaded were to impose its producer's own
>> conception of how music player controls should look on your music
>> player, or if the display of the volume control bar on your TV screen
>> depended on what channel or program you were watching. Perhaps a station
>> broadcasting a slasher film would want your volume control display to
>> look like it was dripping with blood. Wouldn't that be awesome? (being
>> ironic)
> <snip>
>
> You are comparing apples to bananas. The media player where a movie or
> music is played isn't part of the nature of that movie or music.

Uploading a file to a server is just as much a generic UI function as is
setting the volume on a song you are listening to or fast-forwarding a
movie or changing the channel on a TV.
From: Mark Smith on
On Dec 11, 1:06 pm, Harlan Messinger
<hmessinger.removet...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:

> >> Did you look at how this was actually implemented? Apart from requiring
> >> JQuery, that demo page has file upload fields with opacity:0 overlayed
> >> above its buttons and links. I'd say this qualifies as

> > Yes.  Most Web developers (or "designers") want everything to look
> > exactly the way they want it to look and never mind what the user
> > agent thinks.  CSS "resets", brittle hacks, anything goes if it makes
> > it look exactly the same in IE, FF and Safari.  It's backwards as the
> > developers of the user agents probably had a good idea of what sort of
> > default style would work best for inputs (buttons particularly).
>
> Imagine if every song you downloaded were to impose its producer's own
> conception of how music player controls should look on your music
> player, or if the display of the volume control bar on your TV screen
> depended on what channel or program you were watching. Perhaps a station
> broadcasting a slasher film would want your volume control display to
> look like it was dripping with blood. Wouldn't that be awesome? (being
> ironic)

I think the anology needs taken one step further to reflect where we
are currently with web standards.

Imagine if every song you downloaded sounded different on every type
of player - not how the musician intended. Wouldn't that be awesome? :)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Help with a Table Wanted
Next: background shorthand