From: Steve on
I'm getting the dreaded "File NOT backed up" message, with no other
detail. Looks like it did actually back up the QDF, QPH, and QSD
files, in spite of the message. The file validates ok. What next?
Thanks!

--

When you are arguing with a fool,
make sure he isn't doing the same thing.

....Unknown
From: R. C. White on
Hi, Steve.

Three steps, two simple, the other not.

First, Backup again - this time to a different location. If this is
successful, it will preserve your fileset while you solve the real problem,
and it will tell you that your working file is OK. If this backup fails,
you will need to dig deeper, of course.

Second, click File | Open (or File | Restore backup file - so far as I can
tell, both do the same thing in most cases, except that Restore has your
most recent backup files pre-selected for you) and browse to your latest
backup file. If you haven't made "manual" backups when reminded, you might
need to restore your less-than-a-week-old automatic backup, which you should
find in the \QuickenW\BACKUP folder.

If either of those work, then try to Backup again - to a new location - just
to confirm that your problem was a temporary one that is now fixed.

Third, if neither of those steps is successful, then you will need to
explore further. The problem might be in your data, or it might be in your
hardware. It's unlikely that it is in the Quicken application itself, since
nobody else is reporting similar problems.

Obvious question: Is your destination hard drive full? To head off lots of
similar questions, could you please give us the basic information that
should always be in the initial post of a problem: Which version of
Quicken? Which version of Windows? Brief description of your hardware,
especially of your hard drives and other storage devices (CD/DVD, USB thumb
drive, floppy...)? Where were you trying to backup?

I'll hold off on other thoughts until you try my first two suggestions and
report back.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Steve on
"R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> wrote:
>Third, if neither of those steps is successful, then you will need to
>explore further. The problem might be in your data, or it might be in your
>hardware. It's unlikely that it is in the Quicken application itself, since
>nobody else is reporting similar problems.
>Obvious question: Is your destination hard drive full? To head off lots of
>similar questions, could you please give us the basic information that
>should always be in the initial post of a problem: Which version of
>Quicken? Which version of Windows? Brief description of your hardware,
>especially of your hard drives and other storage devices (CD/DVD, USB thumb
>drive, floppy...)? Where were you trying to backup?
>I'll hold off on other thoughts until you try my first two suggestions and
>report back.

Oops, sorry for leaving out the details. Using Q2004 Premier under
WinXP Home. Backing up to another partition on the hard drive, plenty
of space, it's the same partition I've always used with no problems.
Tried backing up to a diferent partition just for the heck of it, no
change.

The error messages seem to change each time -

Unable to open source file > File not backed up

or

Unable to close file > Unable to load item list file > Unable to
reload current file after copy > File backed up successfully

Either way, the file seems to back up ok. And the file itself seems
intact. Validation finds no errors.

From: Steve on
>Oops, sorry for leaving out the details. Using Q2004 Premier under
>WinXP Home. Backing up to another partition on the hard drive, plenty
>of space, it's the same partition I've always used with no problems.
>Tried backing up to a diferent partition just for the heck of it, no
>change.
>
>The error messages seem to change each time -
>
>Unable to open source file > File not backed up
>
>or
>
>Unable to close file > Unable to load item list file > Unable to
>reload current file after copy > File backed up successfully
>
>Either way, the file seems to back up ok. And the file itself seems
>intact. Validation finds no errors.

It gets weirder. I've now tried backups of several older versions of
the data file. In some cases, the backup goes thru with no problems,
several times in a row, then I start getting error messages or simply
the message "File not backed up" (this is on the same file that I just
backed up successfully, with no error messages).

Same thing happens with the current data file - sometimes the backup
goes thru successfully, other times I get error messages (but the
backup still appears to have gone thru successfully - same file size
etc). Only occasionally will the file not back up at all, and I'll
get the message: File not backed up.

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Steve.

>>The error messages seem to change each time -

It's sounding more and more like a hardware problem. It could be anything
from a loose or defective cable to bad RAM to a fluctuating power supply -
or a bad driver for your hardware. Do you have a USB or other removable
drive that is sometimes plugged in? Have you run a good hard drive test
utility? Start with good ol' Chkdsk. Then download something like PowerMax
from Maxtor or SeaTools from Seagate, depending on the maker of your HD.
Your drive may be about to die; if you act in time, it may still be in
warranty. Maxtor replaced two HDs for me last year; one had already died,
PowerMax warned me that the other was failing.

Hardware is still my suspect, but it seems strange that your problems happen
only when backing up Quicken files. Have you deleted Quicken (from Add or
Remove Programs) and reinstalled it from the CD? Don't delete your data
files or QuickenW\BACKUP, of course, but wipe out the rest of the QuickenW
folder; add/remove should do exactly that. Then, rather than accept Quicken
Setup's offer to Launch Quicken, close the Setup wizard. Browse to your
latest, most dependable *.qdf file and click on it to start Quicken with
that file loaded.

Keep us informed of your findings and progress. Somebody here should be
able to recognize your symptoms and suggest some steps to take. You told us
your Quicken and Windows versions, but you did not mention the make and
model of your computer (or your mobo/chipset/CPU if you built it yourself)
or anything about your hard drive except "plenty of space". We don't know
if it is WD or IBM, if it is IDE or SATA or SCSI, if it is 20 GB or 200 GB,
if it is part of a RAID, if you have 1 drive or 3 - or anything else.
:>( We probably don't need a complete, detailed description, but we cannot
see your hardware so we're fumbling blindly, and a brief description would
help us help you.

RC