From: Bill Cohagan on
Is there a way to do an export/import, moving ALL data from one QDF to a new
QDF? I've got a rather large (18MB) QDF file that has a lot of historical
info (stock ack dates, basis costs, etc.); however it is not "holding up
well" (or alternatively Quicken itself is broken). I see lots of small
problems; e.g.,

1.) Certain on line bill payments won't work if entered through the bill
payment UI. Instead I have to manually set "Send" in the register.
2.) I've just transferred a bunch of stock from one account to another. All
stocks but one transferred fine. One stock showed up at the destination, but
there is no "Removed" transaction in the source account; thus the stock
appears in *both* accounts. If I try to "Remove" the stock from the source
account it says there are no shares to remove, but if I do a portfolio value
report on that account the stock is listed.

There are other issues, but the above are typical examples. Anyway, I'd like
to "start fresh" if possible, but I'm not aware of any effective way to
dump/restore Quicken data that retains all of the transaction linkeages,
etc. Is there a way?

TIA,
Bill

From: Jim Jensen on
"Bill Cohagan" <bill(a)teraXNOSPAMXquest.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to do an export/import, moving ALL data from one QDF
> to a new QDF? I've got a rather large (18MB) QDF file that has a lot
> of historical info (stock ack dates, basis costs, etc.); however it
> is not "holding up well" (or alternatively Quicken itself is broken).
> I see lots of small problems; e.g.,
>
> 1.) Certain on line bill payments won't work if entered through the
> bill payment UI. Instead I have to manually set "Send" in the
> register.
> 2.) I've just transferred a bunch of stock from one account to
> another. All stocks but one transferred fine. One stock showed up at
> the destination, but there is no "Removed" transaction in the source
> account; thus the stock appears in *both* accounts. If I try to
> "Remove" the stock from the source account it says there are no
> shares to remove, but if I do a portfolio value report on that
> account the stock is listed.
>
> There are other issues, but the above are typical examples. Anyway,
> I'd like to "start fresh" if possible, but I'm not aware of any
> effective way to dump/restore Quicken data that retains all of the
> transaction linkeages, etc. Is there a way?
>
> TIA,
> Bill

Sure..File>File Operations>Copy. Give the new file a different name.
Then use the new file.
From: Han on
"Jim Jensen" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in news:o0foh.42873$wc5.11510
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

> "Bill Cohagan" <bill(a)teraXNOSPAMXquest.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to do an export/import, moving ALL data from one QDF
>> to a new QDF? I've got a rather large (18MB) QDF file that has a lot
>> of historical info (stock ack dates, basis costs, etc.); however it
>> is not "holding up well" (or alternatively Quicken itself is broken).
>> I see lots of small problems; e.g.,
>>
>> 1.) Certain on line bill payments won't work if entered through the
>> bill payment UI. Instead I have to manually set "Send" in the
>> register.
>> 2.) I've just transferred a bunch of stock from one account to
>> another. All stocks but one transferred fine. One stock showed up at
>> the destination, but there is no "Removed" transaction in the source
>> account; thus the stock appears in *both* accounts. If I try to
>> "Remove" the stock from the source account it says there are no
>> shares to remove, but if I do a portfolio value report on that
>> account the stock is listed.
>>
>> There are other issues, but the above are typical examples. Anyway,
>> I'd like to "start fresh" if possible, but I'm not aware of any
>> effective way to dump/restore Quicken data that retains all of the
>> transaction linkeages, etc. Is there a way?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Bill
>
> Sure..File>File Operations>Copy. Give the new file a different name.
> Then use the new file.

Using a copy of the new file set, do a validate. There seems to be file
corruption. Hope you have backups ...

The qdf file does not hold historical prices. If you don't care about
old historical stock prices, see what happens when you rename the qph
file. Prices of buys and sells are not affected

--
Best regards
Han
From: Bill Cohagan on
Thanks for the suggestion; however doesn't a File Copy just do a bit by bit
copy -- which of course would include whatever problems exist in the current
file?

Bill

From: Bill Cohagan on
Han
Yes, I've done a validate, but it doesn't help.

Bill
"Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
> "Jim Jensen" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in news:o0foh.42873$wc5.11510
> @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:
>
>> "Bill Cohagan" <bill(a)teraXNOSPAMXquest.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there a way to do an export/import, moving ALL data from one QDF
>>> to a new QDF? I've got a rather large (18MB) QDF file that has a lot
>>> of historical info (stock ack dates, basis costs, etc.); however it
>>> is not "holding up well" (or alternatively Quicken itself is broken).
>>> I see lots of small problems; e.g.,
>>>
>>> 1.) Certain on line bill payments won't work if entered through the
>>> bill payment UI. Instead I have to manually set "Send" in the
>>> register.
>>> 2.) I've just transferred a bunch of stock from one account to
>>> another. All stocks but one transferred fine. One stock showed up at
>>> the destination, but there is no "Removed" transaction in the source
>>> account; thus the stock appears in *both* accounts. If I try to
>>> "Remove" the stock from the source account it says there are no
>>> shares to remove, but if I do a portfolio value report on that
>>> account the stock is listed.
>>>
>>> There are other issues, but the above are typical examples. Anyway,
>>> I'd like to "start fresh" if possible, but I'm not aware of any
>>> effective way to dump/restore Quicken data that retains all of the
>>> transaction linkeages, etc. Is there a way?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Bill
>>
>> Sure..File>File Operations>Copy. Give the new file a different name.
>> Then use the new file.
>>
> Using a copy of the new file set, do a validate. There seems to be file
> corruption. Hope you have backups ...
>
> The qdf file does not hold historical prices. If you don't care about
> old historical stock prices, see what happens when you rename the qph
> file. Prices of buys and sells are not affected
>

> --
> Best regards
> Han
> email address is invalid