From: tms3 on

> Hello,
>
> I recently migrated all data and user accounts from our old Samba file
> server to a new (Samba 3.4.0 on Unbuntu 9.10) one. Everything is
> working
> fine except that there is one user whose SID is showing in the "Owner"
> column of Windows Explorer instead of the user name.
>
> It's not a big problem, but the user is uncomfortable with it and I'd
> like to know why it's happening and how to fix it.

Check for duplicate UID's somewhere.

> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg
Also make sure that SID returned by "wbinfo -n DOMAIN\name" matches the
name returned by "wbinfo -s SID" command.

On 07/08/2010 01:45 PM, tms3(a)tms3.com wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently migrated all data and user accounts from our old Samba file
>> server to a new (Samba 3.4.0 on Unbuntu 9.10) one. Everything is working
>> fine except that there is one user whose SID is showing in the "Owner"
>> column of Windows Explorer instead of the user name.
>>
>> It's not a big problem, but the user is uncomfortable with it and I'd
>> like to know why it's happening and how to fix it.
>
> Check for duplicate UID's somewhere.
>>

>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Greg
Thank you -

wbinfo -s (user sid) returns "Could not lookup sid (user sid)"

How do I fix this?

Thanks again.

On 7/8/2010 10:56 AM, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> Also make sure that SID returned by "wbinfo -n DOMAIN\name" matches the
> name returned by "wbinfo -s SID" command.

This occurs when Windows cannot find a user name for the SID. Identify
which user is the real owner and change the Owner of the file to the
real owner. If the owner actually does exist then it's probably missing
the name attribute.

On 08/07/10 01:56 PM, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> Also make sure that SID returned by "wbinfo -n DOMAIN\name" matches
> the name returned by "wbinfo -s SID" command.
>
> On 07/08/2010 01:45 PM, tms3(a)tms3.com wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently migrated all data and user accounts from our old Samba file
>>> server to a new (Samba 3.4.0 on Unbuntu 9.10) one. Everything is
>>> working
>>> fine except that there is one user whose SID is showing in the "Owner"
>>> column of Windows Explorer instead of the user name.
>>>
>>> It's not a big problem, but the user is uncomfortable with it and I'd
>>> like to know why it's happening and how to fix it.
>>
>> Check for duplicate UID's somewhere.
>>>

>>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Greg

> Also make sure that SID returned by "wbinfo -n DOMAIN\name" matches
> the
> name returned by "wbinfo -s SID" command.

Yeah...but that's a real puzzler, isn't it? Why the is the
nsswitch/winbindd process getting a SID as a value for uid? I've
seen it briefly when some process is lagging out. But I can't ever
recall such a state being "permanent"....Odd...something's nagging me
about this, can't put my finger on it.