From: mscotgrove on
On Oct 5, 9:42 pm, Lars <L...(a)fake.com> wrote:
> Previously, on Usenet "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
> >> WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
> >> rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
> >> the cool stuff I had recorded.
>
> >> Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as "non-allocated" space.
>
> >> Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,
>
> >See what a Ubuntu Live CD makes of it.
>
> At long last I have had time to dig into this thing again. I used a
> Knoppix Live CD but that did not get me any further. It said something
> similar to what Windows disk manager says, non allocated.
>
> Here is a screen dump from PowerQuests partition Table Editor;http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/PartitionTable_WD.png
>
> It says Type is A3, does that tell you anything?
>
> Here is a digital photo of the contents of sector 1http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/Sector_1.png
>
> I have not seen Svend around here in a while. This might be something
> for him ...
>
> Lars
> Stockholm

It does not look like a standard type of boot sector.

Your photo says sector 1 and sector 2, it is sector 0 you actually
want, or am misreading the picture.

PCs typically have the partition table starting at 0x1be on sector 0

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 22:42:50 +0200, Lars <Lars(a)fake.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>Previously, on Usenet "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
>>> WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
>>> rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
>>> the cool stuff I had recorded.
>>
>>> Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as "non-allocated" space.
>>
>>> Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,
>>
>>See what a Ubuntu Live CD makes of it.
>
>At long last I have had time to dig into this thing again. I used a
>Knoppix Live CD but that did not get me any further. It said something
>similar to what Windows disk manager says, non allocated.
>
>Here is a screen dump from PowerQuests partition Table Editor;
>http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/PartitionTable_WD.png
>
>It says Type is A3, does that tell you anything?

That is not a partition table. For one thing, the starting and ending
sectors of partition 2 are located completely within partition 1, and
the ending sector for partition 3 is less than its starting sector.

>Here is a digital photo of the contents of sector 1
>http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/Sector_1.png
>
>I have not seen Svend around here in a while. This might be something
>for him ...
>

>Lars
>Stockholm

I'm not a programmer, but the code that begins "EC 9F CA ..." doesn't
look to me like boot code. But then a DVDR doesn't boot from the hard
drive, and it probably doesn't make any sense to partition it.

- Franc Zabkar
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 07:50:09 +1000, Franc Zabkar
<fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>>Here is a digital photo of the contents of sector 1
>>http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/Sector_1.png
>>
>>I have not seen Svend around here in a while. This might be something
>>for him ...
>>

>>Lars
>>Stockholm
>
>I'm not a programmer, but the code that begins "EC 9F CA ..." doesn't
>look to me like boot code. But then a DVDR doesn't boot from the hard
>drive, and it probably doesn't make any sense to partition it.

Hmm, I forgot that the DVDR uP is not an x86 type.

- Franc Zabkar