From: Lars on
Hi group,

I know this is not a bina fide ibm.pc question, but where else to ask?

I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
the cool stuff I had recorded.

I searched for some unformat command but it had none. So I took out
the HD and plugged it in to an external USB-connected box.

Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as
"non-allocated" space.

Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,
and if there is any tool I could use to unformat the thing?

Lars
Stockholm
From: Rod Speed on
Lars <Lars(a)fake.com> wrote:

> Hi group,

Lo groupy.

> I know this is not a bina fide ibm.pc question, but where else to ask?

> I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
> WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
> rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
> the cool stuff I had recorded.

A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

> I searched for some unformat command but it had none. So I took
> out the HD and plugged it in to an external USB-connected box.

> Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as "non-allocated" space.

> Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,

See what a Ubuntu Live CD makes of it.

> and if there is any tool I could use to unformat the thing?

Depends on what format it is.

From: Eric Gisin on
It might be FAT32 or UDF 2.x. Get dskprobe or another disk editor.
Compare a FAT boot sector with the first 64 sectors of the DVR disk.

From: Franc Zabkar on
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:33:08 +0200, Lars <Lars(a)fake.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>Hi group,
>
>I know this is not a bina fide ibm.pc question, but where else to ask?
>
>I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
>WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
>rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
>the cool stuff I had recorded.
>
>I searched for some unformat command but it had none. So I took out
>the HD and plugged it in to an external USB-connected box.
>
>Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as
>"non-allocated" space.
>
>Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,
>and if there is any tool I could use to unformat the thing?
>
>Lars
>Stockholm

I don't know about your Sony DVDR, but this one has a Cirrus Logic
chipset:

http://jeroent.com/salora/?cat=4
http://jeroent.com/salora/?cat=6

The file system is proprietary. I suspect yours is, too.

In the CL case, the file system begins at the topmost LBA and grows
backwards to LBA 0.

- Franc Zabkar
From: Lars on
Previously, on Usenet "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have this Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-HX710 with a built in hard drive,
>> WD 160 GB. Late one night my fingers where faster than my brain and
>> rather than reformatting a RW DVD I reformatted the HD, and lost all
>> the cool stuff I had recorded.
>
>> Windows Diskmanager sees the drive but reports it all as "non-allocated" space.
>
>> Do you have any idea what kind of file system such a drive may have,
>
>See what a Ubuntu Live CD makes of it.

At long last I have had time to dig into this thing again. I used a
Knoppix Live CD but that did not get me any further. It said something
similar to what Windows disk manager says, non allocated.

Here is a screen dump from PowerQuests partition Table Editor;
http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/PartitionTable_WD.png

It says Type is A3, does that tell you anything?

Here is a digital photo of the contents of sector 1
http://web.telia.com/~u84408784/Avis/Sector_1.png

I have not seen Svend around here in a while. This might be something
for him ...

Lars
Stockholm