From: Floyd L. Davidson on
bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>RichA wrote:
>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_film_camera_beats_digital_to_North_Pole_news_298365.html
>
>'These low temperatures cause everything to shrink -
>autofocus lenses become too tight and have to be focused
>manually and aperture leafs often jam.
>
>This applies to any camera with aperture leafs and
>autofocus. His comment about batteries also applies to
>any camera with a battery.
>
>So his comments appear directly applicable to any such
>camera e.g. Canon EOS 1, not known for being digital.

Generally speaking, people who experience an Arctic
environment periodically (as opposed to living there
full time), tend to have a very limited understanding of
exactly what they have experienced. Applying what they
see to a specific, as opposed to a more general, case is
common.

Anybody who seriously thinks film is easier to use at
-40C just really doesn't have enough experience to even
discuss photography in the Arctic.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: Rich on
On May 25, 3:54 am, bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_film_camera_beats_dig...
>
> 'These low temperatures cause everything to shrink - autofocus lenses become too tight and have to be focused manually and aperture leafs often jam.
>
> This applies to any camera with aperture leafs and autofocus.
> His comment about batteries also applies to any camera with a battery.
>
> So his comments appear directly applicable to any such camera
> e.g. Canon EOS 1, not known for being digital.
>
>     BugBear

But you can shoot manual cameras anytime, no power needed. All you
need to do is estimate exposure, film latitude being pretty good these
days.
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
Rich <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On May 25, 3:54�am, bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_film_camera_beats_dig...
>>
>> 'These low temperatures cause everything to shrink - autofocus lenses become too tight and have to be focused manually and aperture leafs often jam.
>>
>> This applies to any camera with aperture leafs and autofocus.
>> His comment about batteries also applies to any camera with a battery.
>>
>> So his comments appear directly applicable to any such camera
>> e.g. Canon EOS 1, not known for being digital.
>>
>> � � BugBear
>
>But you can shoot manual cameras anytime, no power needed. All you
>need to do is estimate exposure, film latitude being pretty good these
>days.

Ha ha, that's hilarious. Film latitude isn't that good,
and in particular if you shoot slides.

Regardless, the no power needed is not the significance
of the cited article. The fellow was claiming that film
is better at -40 degrees. Let me tell you a secret:
winding film at -40 is quite often a fatal action. You
*loose* everything unless you have a dark bag with you
to remove the film from the camera.

Of course there is no rewind lever on a digital camera,
and removing memory cards is not affected by cold.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: Michael Black on
On Tue, 25 May 2010, Rich wrote:

> On May 25, 3:54 am, bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_film_camera_beats_dig...
>>
>> 'These low temperatures cause everything to shrink - autofocus lenses become too tight and have to be focused manually and aperture leafs often jam.
>>
>> This applies to any camera with aperture leafs and autofocus.
>> His comment about batteries also applies to any camera with a battery.
>>
>> So his comments appear directly applicable to any such camera
>> e.g. Canon EOS 1, not known for being digital.
>>
>>     BugBear
>
> But you can shoot manual cameras anytime, no power needed. All you
> need to do is estimate exposure, film latitude being pretty good these
> days.

What about the mechanical parts? If they are lubricated, the lubrication
may freeze, and the camera won't work. Oddly, despite most digital
cameras having motorized zoom, they don't have much else in the way
of mechanical parts.

Note that if you read about antarctic exploration, if they were using
motorized transport, they'd start the day by using a blowtorch on
the tractors, to warm them up so they can start.

Michael
From: Rich on
On May 25, 2:36 pm, fl...(a)apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
> Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> 'These low temperatures cause everything to shrink - autofocus lenses become too tight and have to be focused manually and aperture leafs often jam.
>
> >> This applies to any camera with aperture leafs and autofocus.
> >> His comment about batteries also applies to any camera with a battery.
>
> >> So his comments appear directly applicable to any such camera
> >> e.g. Canon EOS 1, not known for being digital.
>
> >>     BugBear
>
> >But you can shoot manual cameras anytime, no power needed.  All you
> >need to do is estimate exposure, film latitude being pretty good these
> >days.
>
> Ha ha, that's hilarious.  Film latitude isn't that good,
> and in particular if you shoot slides.

Why shoot slides when negative film is so good today? Also, if as a
photographer you can't estimate exposure of a scene to within a stop,
you are no photographer.

> Regardless, the no power needed is not the significance
> of the cited article.  The fellow was claiming that film
> is better at -40 degrees.  Let me tell you a secret:
> winding film at -40 is quite often a fatal action.  You
> *loose* everything unless you have a dark bag with you
> to remove the film from the camera.

He apparently managed.