From: RichA on
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_film_camera_beats_digital_to_North_Pole_news_298365.html
From: Michael Black on
On Mon, 24 May 2010, Savageduck wrote:

> On 2010-05-24 17:41:32 -0700, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> said:
>
>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_film_camera_beats_digital_to_North_Pole_news_298365.html

> was wondering what Peary used in 1908-09. I think that beat Leica film, and
> digital to the North Pole.

Don't forget the time Shackleton's Endurance got trapped in the ice. They
used photographic plates, and somehow managed to keep all or most of them
throughout the ordeal, that included having the ship locked in the ice
for a long time, then having to abandon the ship, moving by small boats
and sleds for a bit, and finally some sailing. The photos are actually
terribly interesting in themselves, but it's amazing they bothered
to keep them along under such circumstances.

Michael
From: John McWilliams on
Michael Black wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010, Savageduck wrote:
>
>> On 2010-05-24 17:41:32 -0700, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_film_camera_beats_digital_to_North_Pole_news_298365.html

>> was wondering what Peary used in 1908-09. I think that beat Leica
>> film, and digital to the North Pole.
>>
> Don't forget the time Shackleton's Endurance got trapped in the ice. They
> used photographic plates, and somehow managed to keep all or most of them
> throughout the ordeal, that included having the ship locked in the ice
> for a long time, then having to abandon the ship, moving by small boats
> and sleds for a bit, and finally some sailing. The photos are actually
> terribly interesting in themselves, but it's amazing they bothered
> to keep them along under such circumstances.

Yes, it's amazing that anyone or anything survived that ordeal. After
reading the book, it took four days for me to thaw out, and I was in the
Desert at the time.....

--
John McWilliams
From: Atheist Chaplain on
> On 2010-05-24 17:58:55 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> said:
>
>> On 2010-05-24 17:41:32 -0700, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_film_camera_beats_digital_to_North_Pole_news_298365.html

> was
>>>
>> wondering what Peary used in 1908-09. I think that beat Leica film, and
>> digital to the North Pole.
>
> Just to clarify Peary used a 1908 #4 Folding Pocket Kodak.
> < http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Folding_Pocket_Kodak >
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

one must also ask what the Top Gear team used as cameras for their trip to
the magnetic North pole in 2007, I suspect that they were digital (motion
picture digital, but digital none the less)
and while one team was in a car, the other travelled by dog sled.
--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

From: bugbear on
RichA wrote:
> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_film_camera_beats_digital_to_North_Pole_news_298365.html

'These low temperatures cause everything to shrink - autofocus lenses become too tight and have to be focused manually and aperture leafs often jam.

This applies to any camera with aperture leafs and autofocus.
His comment about batteries also applies to any camera with a battery.

So his comments appear directly applicable to any such camera
e.g. Canon EOS 1, not known for being digital.

BugBear