From: terryc on
Can anyone recommend a 35mm film/slide/negative scanner that will run
under Linux.

FWIW, I'm located in Australia and a strong preference to buy locally.

T.I.A.
From: notbob on
On 2010-07-27, terryc <newsninespam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a 35mm film/slide/negative scanner that will run
> under Linux.
>
> FWIW, I'm located in Australia and a strong preference to buy locally.

Most flatbed scanners have accessories (masks, etc) to aid in scanning
negatives/slides. My Epson does, though I've never used them.

Scanners used to be a real deal killer for linux, but it's become much
better, now, with SANE:

http://www.sane-project.org/

See "supported devices".

nb
From: ray on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:03:27 +0000, terryc wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a 35mm film/slide/negative scanner that will run
> under Linux.
>
> FWIW, I'm located in Australia and a strong preference to buy locally.
>
> T.I.A.

I've used a couple of Epson scanners with slide/negative adapters - they
do quite well. Does not hurt to check avasys.jp first to make certain the
particular model you're thinking of is supported. Good buys on refurbs at
the Epson online store.
From: terryc on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:12:44 +0000, notbob wrote:

> On 2010-07-27, terryc <newsninespam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a 35mm film/slide/negative scanner that will run
>> under Linux.
>>
>> FWIW, I'm located in Australia and a strong preference to buy locally.
>
> Most flatbed scanners have accessories (masks, etc) to aid in scanning
> negatives/slides. My Epson does, though I've never used them.

Basically my reason for asking for recommendations on specific slide/film/
negative scanners. Basic scanner =$100, Scanner with slide scan capacity =
$200, scanner with slide& film capacity = $300 and when something goes
wrong, another $300.

I would actually prefer to buy separate devices.

> Scanners used to be a real deal killer for linux, but it's become much
> better, now, with SANE:

Umm, not really, or perhaps it was just a unix drven scanner I was using
three decades ago. I've had scanners on Linux for over two decades.

> http://www.sane-project.org/
>
> See "supported devices".

Sorry,I know you are trying to be helpful, but that is like saying there
is a word in the dictionary that says exactly what you are trying to say.

I'm asking for that carbon life form based intelligence that says, this
brand/model is actually a film/slide/negative scanner.

The problem is a great many of the f/s/n scanners are actually rebadged
proprietary shite from one company and their device isn't twain
compatible. BTDT.
From: terryc on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:18:26 +0000, ray wrote:

> I've used a couple of Epson scanners with slide/negative adapters - they
> do quite well. Does not hurt to check avasys.jp first to make certain
> the particular model you're thinking of is supported. Good buys on
> refurbs at the Epson online store.

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2