From: Igor Tandetnik on
Vincent Fatica <vince(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 07:45:49 -0700, "Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Try these links:
>>
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/threads
>
> Didn't they consider how utterly fast and convenient NNTP is?

They kind of sort of did:

http://connect.microsoft.com/Microsoftforums/

There's also an open-source equivalent of that, said to work much better that Microsoft's offering (I haven't gotten around to trying it myself yet, though):

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

--
With best wishes,
Igor Tandetnik

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

From: Vincent Fatica on
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 12:40:41 -0400, "Igor Tandetnik" <itandetnik(a)mvps.org> wrote:

|> Didn't they consider how utterly fast and convenient NNTP is?
|
|They kind of sort of did:
|
|http://connect.microsoft.com/Microsoftforums/

No doubt that'll take the fast and convenient out of it.
--
- Vince
From: Bo Persson on
Vincent Fatica wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 07:45:49 -0700, "Tom Serface"
> <tom(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
>
>> Try these links:
>>
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/threads
>
> Didn't they consider how utterly fast and convenient NNTP is?

But it isn't cool ! :-)

> You don't have to be a member/login. You can keep what you want
> and purge the rest, not having to deal with thousands of threads
> every time you read. It's plain text.

Right, so you are in control, and they are not. Is that good?

> Compared to usenet with a decent news reader, navigating those MS
> forums (all web-based forums) is a nightmare.

That's a price they are willing to pay. :-)

> While MS may not host these groups any longer, I sincerely hope
> they remain active.

Just keep posting!

Bo Persson

From: Vincent Fatica on
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 19:54:02 +0200, "Bo Persson" <bop(a)gmb.dk> wrote:

|> You don't have to be a member/login. You can keep what you want
|> and purge the rest, not having to deal with thousands of threads
|> every time you read. It's plain text.
|
|Right, so you are in control, and they are not. Is that good?

Um ... yes.

|> Compared to usenet with a decent news reader, navigating those MS
|> forums (all web-based forums) is a nightmare.
|
|That's a price they are willing to pay. :-)

For ... um ... control!

|> While MS may not host these groups any longer, I sincerely hope
|> they remain active.
|
|Just keep posting!

I'm not going anywhere.
--