From: rdemyan via AccessMonster.com on
Is there a way that I can determine the full path of an application like
WinZip. If possible, I'd like to start with as little information as
possible, (Example WinZip).

From: Richard on
On Apr 16, 9:27 am, "rdemyan via AccessMonster.com" <u6836(a)uwe> wrote:
> Is there a way that I can determine the full path of an application like
> WinZip.  If possible, I'd like to start with as little information as
> possible, (Example WinZip).

Click on start --> programs --> find win zip, right click on win zip,
click properties.
From: Douglas J. Steele on
Take a look at what Randy Birch has at
http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/findexecutable.htm

If you change the line of code

success = FindExecutable("winhlp32.hlp", "c:\winnt\system32\", sResult)

to point to a known Zip file, like

success = FindExecutable("MyFile.zip", "C:\SomeFolder", sResult)

then sResult will contain the path to winzip32.exe

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

From: Douglas J. Steele on
Oops. Just noticed I was missing the final slash on the folder:

From: rdemyan via AccessMonster.com on
Thanks, Doug. My App uses WinZip to upload zipped files to an ftp site. I
recently purchased a new computer which is 64 bit. Programs are stored in
the folder Program Files (x86) and not Program Files. Since my code has a
hard coded reference to the path (which was presumed to be Program Files), my
program can no longer find WinZip.

I had forgotten that My App has this vulnerability. I wish there was another
way to find WinZip than what you suggest, since it requires knowing the file
name of a zip file on the user's computer. I've decided to start storing the
full path in a local table. If MyApp can't find it, it will ask the user to
locate WinZip via File Search code. Then Myapp will store the full path for
future use.

However, I would prefer to be able to find it in code.

Also, what happens when WinZip32 becomes Winzip64??

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>Oops. Just noticed I was missing the final slash on the folder:
>
>success = FindExecutable("MyFile.zip", "C:\SomeFolder\", sResult)
>
>> Take a look at what Randy Birch has at
>> http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/findexecutable.htm
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>>> WinZip. If possible, I'd like to start with as little information as
>>> possible, (Example WinZip).

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Access Report question