From: Goomba on
Last year I mislabeled a .jpeg video and now I cannot find it. The extension
could have been named .doc or .txt, and the file name is now unknown. Is
there any way to search for .jpeg files regardless of how they may be
labeled? Thank you,
From: Spamlet on

"Goomba" <Goomba(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last year I mislabeled a .jpeg video and now I cannot find it. The
> extension
> could have been named .doc or .txt, and the file name is now unknown. Is
> there any way to search for .jpeg files regardless of how they may be
> labeled? Thank you,

Just search for big files. The big one without a video extension is your
mislabelled file.

From: VanguardLH on
Goomba wrote:

> Last year I mislabeled a .jpeg video and now I cannot find it.

JPEG is a picture format, not a video format.

> The extension could have been named .doc or .txt, and the file name is
> now unknown.

..doc files are documents typically composed using Word. .txt files are
plain text files. Neither are pictures or videos. Documents aren't
usually much over 5-20 KB in size. Videos will be MUCH larger, like in
the many-megabyte range, or higher.

> Is there any way to search for .jpeg files regardless of how they may
> be labeled?

Have you yet even tried using the file search included in Windows?
Search on all files but enter something for the Size criteria, like
200KB (or whatever you might think is the size of this mislabelled
file). Videos can be megabytes to even gigabytes in size. You didn't
explain the nature of the missing video file, like if you recorded 60
seconds using a digital camera, downloaded it from the Net, converted it
from a tape or DVD movie, or what. You might want to start searching
for files above 20,000 KB (20MB) and then progressively lower the size
if the prior search doesn't find your mislabelled file.
From: Paul on
Goomba wrote:
> Last year I mislabeled a .jpeg video and now I cannot find it. The extension
> could have been named .doc or .txt, and the file name is now unknown. Is
> there any way to search for .jpeg files regardless of how they may be
> labeled? Thank you,

It is possible to get info on files. I have two programs here
that may be useful. One is specifically for movies, and if you're working
with movies, that is the program to use. The other is general purpose,
but may not do as good a job identifying movie types.

*******

For video (like MJPEG a.k.a Motion JPEG), you can use GSPOT.
It has a batch mode, which allows dragging and dropping a handful
of files on the window at one time, and the "export" file will
have printed in it, what the files are.

http://gspot.headbands.com/

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip (download)

For general file identification, first consider which OSes use
extensions and which do not. Windows is pretty dependent on
extensions. Linux and Unix don't depend on the extension.
Instead, Linux and Unix examine key bytes in the file
(usually in the first 1Kbyte), and determine the file type
that way. The operative term for the bytes they look at,
is the "magic function".

There is a port of the "file" program available.

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/file.htm

To get this working, you'll eventually end up with
a folder called "bin" and in it, will be files like
this.

file.exe
magic1.dll
regex2.dll
zlib1.dll

If the package has an installer, it should add an entry to
the Windows environment variable for execution "PATH". That
way, when you type "file" at the command prompt (MSDOS window),
the system will be able to find it. The dependencies for the
file, must be in the folder with it, and as far as I know,
the above list is complete.

For me to test that at the moment, I can open a Command Prompt
window, vopy a JPEG file into the "bin" folder, and type the name
of the command, and see what it says. This first example, will
print all the options the program has (--help calls up the help
function, like /? would do for a Windows program). The second
command example, carries out my test case.

C:\Downloads\filetype_gnuwin32\bin> file --help
C:\Downloads\filetype_gnuwin32\bin> file test.jpg

test.jpg; JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01

Now, if I renamed that test file to test.txt, the answer would
still be the same

C:\Downloads\filetype_gnuwin32\bin> file test.txt

test.txt; JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01

So the program does its determination of file type, without
relying on the extension.

Neither of those example utilities, is "user friendly". With
a great deal of effort, they could be used in a script. You
can still use them by hand, but it will take you a *long* time
to find that file manually.

Good luck,
Paul
From: Mike S on
On 8/7/2010 3:56 PM, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> of the command, and see what it says. This first example, will
> print all the options the program has (--help calls up the help
> function, like /? would do for a Windows program). The second
> command example, carries out my test case.
>
> C:\Downloads\filetype_gnuwin32\bin> file --help
> C:\Downloads\filetype_gnuwin32\bin> file test.jpg
>
> test.jpg; JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01
>
> Now, if I renamed that test file to test.txt, the answer would
> still be the same
>
> C:\Downloads\filetype_gnuwin32\bin> file test.txt
>
> test.txt; JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01
>
> So the program does its determination of file type, without
> relying on the extension.
>
> Neither of those example utilities, is "user friendly". With
> a great deal of effort, they could be used in a script. You
> can still use them by hand, but it will take you a *long* time

I like XNView, freeware, great program, I just changed the extension of
a file from .jpg to .txt and it showed a graphic thumbnail just as it
did for the .jpg extension, no difference, XNView lets you browser
folders and displays thumbnails for each graphics file, just another
option.

Mike
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3