From: Merlin Morgenstern on
Hi there,

I am searching for a way to show the user similar records from the mysql
database. A functionality like "this could also be of interest to you".

Does anybody know if this is there is a standard functionality to do
this, or a good way on retrieving this with the help of PHP?

Kind regards, Merlin
From: Al on

On 5/7/2010 7:37 PM, Merlin Morgenstern wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am searching for a way to show the user similar records from the mysql
> database. A functionality like "this could also be of interest to you".
>
> Does anybody know if this is there is a standard functionality to do
> this, or a good way on retrieving this with the help of PHP?
>
> Kind regards, Merlin

Biggest problem is defining "similar" Even Google hasn't mastered it yet.
From: David McGlone on
On Friday 07 May 2010 19:37:32 Merlin Morgenstern wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am searching for a way to show the user similar records from the mysql
> database. A functionality like "this could also be of interest to you".
>
> Does anybody know if this is there is a standard functionality to do
> this, or a good way on retrieving this with the help of PHP?
>
> Kind regards, Merlin

I have some code that makes suggestions on items that one might be interested
in based on what they are buying or did buy in the past using PHP.

Is this what your interested in?

--
Blessings,
David M.
From: Teus Benschop on
> > I am searching for a way to show the user similar records from the mysql
> > database. A functionality like "this could also be of interest to you".
> >
> > Does anybody know if this is there is a standard functionality to do
> > this, or a good way on retrieving this with the help of PHP?

There is the LIKE clause in the SELECT statement, or, better still,
MySQL's full text searching capabilities.

Teus.
From: Merlin Morgenstern on
Am 08.05.2010 03:04, schrieb David McGlone:
> On Friday 07 May 2010 19:37:32 Merlin Morgenstern wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am searching for a way to show the user similar records from the mysql
>> database. A functionality like "this could also be of interest to you".
>>
>> Does anybody know if this is there is a standard functionality to do
>> this, or a good way on retrieving this with the help of PHP?
>>
>> Kind regards, Merlin
>
> I have some code that makes suggestions on items that one might be interested
> in based on what they are buying or did buy in the past using PHP.
>
> Is this what your interested in?

Hi David,

I did manage to create a function that provides datasets that are
similar based on the title. My page is a site similar to craigslist, so
I don't know if your code would make sense. It would be interesting
though to show items that have been visited by other people after the
viewed a particular classified. Could your code be adapted to serve that?

Kind regards, Merlin