From: John Spencer on
If you ALWAYS have City Name space and State code then it is simple

StateCode: Right([Your Field],2)
CityName: Trim(Left([Your Field],Len([YourField])-2))

Using InstrRev
CityName: Left("Las Vegas NV",InStrRev("Las Vegas NV"," ")-1)
StateCode: Mid("Las Vegas NV",InStrRev("Las Vegas NV"," ")+1)

It gets a little more complex if you have fields that are blank or have just a
city name or have no spaces.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute