From: John Spencer on
How many values do you have? And how is the data structured?

If you have many values, I would build a table of equivalence.

Letters
LetterValue

A 1
P 0
TA .5

Then IF your table structure was correct you could easily generate the sum

SELECT Sum(Equivalent.LetterValue) as TheSum
FROM SomeTable INNER JOIN Equivalent
ON SomeTable.LetterField = Equivalent.Letters

If you have fields like Week1, Week2, Week3 and Week4 and just a few letter
values then you can construct an expression like the following.
IIF(Week1 ='A',1,IIF(Week1='TA',.5,0))
+ IIF(Week2 ='A',1,IIF(Week2='TA',.5,0))
+ IIF(Week3 ='A',1,IIF(Week3='TA',.5,0))
+ IIF(Week4 ='A',1,IIF(Week4='TA',.5,0))

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County