From: Macma on
Hi,

I have faced very strange situation with Firebird 2.1.3 performance (I
also check versions 2.5 RC2 x64, 2.1.4 Snapshot x64, 1.5.6 x86 and still
the same).

I'm using FireBird 2.1.3 (x64) with default configuration on Windows
2008 R2 Foundation PL (x64).

My 32 bit application connecting to firebird via TCP connection
(localhost) using 32-bit fbclient.dll (C++Builder 2007 with UIB
components).
It store about 700 record on every 30 seconds in some database. Which
consume about 5-8 seconds witch is very long considerate FB 1.5 on
windows server 2003 R2 and similar hardware where it's took below 1s.
>From time to time every thing speeds up to "normal" where average write
time were ± 0,3s.

I try to investigate this performance issue because I use (x64)
architecture for the first time.
I have found things witch I can't explain reasonable.

When I run only my application I had performance issue, it takes about
5-8s to write 700 records and the average disk queue length come up to
100 for that time. So i think this could be some storage issue.

But here comes the funny part, I only run Database Workbench 4 (I don't
made any connection from it only accept trial dialog) and every thing
speed up to normal, where write time was less than 0,5 s and average
disk queue length come below 50.

I also found that the same performance boost I get when I run firefox
with any flash application (at lest some flash banners on site) :). The
same with simple AIR application.

Is there anyone who have similar performance issue or have Idea what
connecting this things.
I still don't believe what I see. I have check on two hardware
configuration and it's reproducible every time.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Macma
From: Steve Foster on
Macma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have faced very strange situation with Firebird 2.1.3 performance (I
> also check versions 2.5 RC2 x64, 2.1.4 Snapshot x64, 1.5.6 x86 and
> still the same).
>
> I'm using FireBird 2.1.3 (x64) with default configuration on Windows
> 2008 R2 Foundation PL (x64).
>
> My 32 bit application connecting to firebird via TCP connection
> (localhost) using 32-bit fbclient.dll (C++Builder 2007 with UIB
> components).
> It store about 700 record on every 30 seconds in some database. Which
> consume about 5-8 seconds witch is very long considerate FB 1.5 on
> windows server 2003 R2 and similar hardware where it's took below 1s.
> > From time to time every thing speeds up to "normal" where average
> > write
> time were ± 0,3s.
>
> I try to investigate this performance issue because I use (x64)
> architecture for the first time.
> I have found things witch I can't explain reasonable.
>
> When I run only my application I had performance issue, it takes about
> 5-8s to write 700 records and the average disk queue length come up to
> 100 for that time. So i think this could be some storage issue.
>
> But here comes the funny part, I only run Database Workbench 4 (I
> don't made any connection from it only accept trial dialog) and every
> thing speed up to normal, where write time was less than 0,5 s and
> average disk queue length come below 50.
>
> I also found that the same performance boost I get when I run firefox
> with any flash application (at lest some flash banners on site) :).
> The same with simple AIR application.
>
> Is there anyone who have similar performance issue or have Idea what
> connecting this things.
> I still don't believe what I see. I have check on two hardware
> configuration and it's reproducible every time.

I suspect your best bet would be to take this to Firebird support,
since it appears to be Firebird-specific.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
From: Macma on
W dniu 2010-07-15 13:29, Steve Foster pisze:
> Macma wrote:
>

> I suspect your best bet would be to take this to Firebird support,
> since it appears to be Firebird-specific.

I did this also, but I think it's rather OS specific because Firebird
works great on previous OS which I used before. Specially firebird 1.5.6
which works fine under Windows Server 2003 and 2003 R2 on the same
hardware configuration and does not suffer this issue. A specially that
long records write time is caused by poor storage subsystem, because
average disk queue length stays on maximum level at this time.

I can't imagine what two diffrent applications like firebird and e.g.
flash or AIR have in common that one can impact on write performance of
the other.

That's why a try to find some answers on this forum also.

Regards,
Macma
From: Macma on
W dniu 2010-07-15 14:33, Macma pisze:
> W dniu 2010-07-15 13:29, Steve Foster pisze:
>> Macma wrote:
>>

>> I suspect your best bet would be to take this to Firebird support,
>> since it appears to be Firebird-specific.
>>

> I did this also, but I think it's rather OS specific because Firebird
> works great on previous OS which I used before. Specially firebird 1.5.6
> which works fine under Windows Server 2003 and 2003 R2 on the same
> hardware configuration and does not suffer this issue. A specially that
> long records write time is caused by poor storage subsystem, because
> average disk queue length stays on maximum level at this time.
>
> I can't imagine what two diffrent applications like firebird and e.g.
> flash or AIR have in common that one can impact on write performance of
> the other.
>
> That's why a try to find some answers on this forum also.
>
> Regards,
> Macma

I finally found the reason of this poor performance. It's driver for HP
SmartArray P400 witch are broken above Version: 6.14.0.64 (B) (6 May 2009).
I was using version 6.20.0.64 (8 Mar 2010) so now when I downgrade to
6.14.0.64 (B) everything works fine for me.

But I still can't explain why DB workbench and flash apps boost this
performance

regards,
Macma