From: Paul on
tanix wrote:
> In article <UoednU9yoKCg-bbWnZ2dnUVZ7tli4p2d(a)bt.com>, Darklight <nglennglen(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>> tanix wrote:

>> what happens if you run sp2, i had problems with xp sp3 ?
>>
>> if your running win7 why don't you try virtualbox in win7 and install xp
>> in virtualbox. and see what happens
>
> That is interesting proposition. Except I don't know what is virtual box
> at teh moment. No experience with win 7.
> I need to run my own monitoring firewall. Unfortunately, for some strange
> reason, it does not run under win 7. Complains about being unable to
> connect to NDIS intermediate driver and see not a single reason for it
> not to be able to connect. Since is is a clean NDIS driver that works
> like a chapm on XP. I just have no time to get into it right now.
>
> If I could install that that driver from virtual box, I'd be willing
> to run all my networking from XP in virtual box. But it prolly won't
> work I guess. Would be nice if it did with some magic trick.
>
> But do you guys think it may have something to do with XP scheduler?
> (i mean firefox locking up the box issue).
>
> I posted to microsoft driver and kernel groups and they claim it is
> a firefox issue. But how come it runs fine unded win 7 then?

What is missing from this thread, is any evidence the computer has
been tested for correct computing operation. Try a stress test program.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

This is the download I'd use on my WinXP 32 bit machine.

http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/p95v259.zip

When you run the program the first time, it'll ask you if you
want to "Join GIMPS". You can answer that you're "Just Testing",
as you're going to be using the stress test feature.

When you run a test, the program starts a thread per core. The
program does a math calculation with a known answer. The program
can detect when a math error has occurred.

A math error could be due to bad RAM or mis-adjusted RAM settings.
Or, it could be a problem with the processor (the program is used
for testing overclocked processors, to see if they still work
properly at the overclocked speed).

The program will stop a thread of execution, if an error is detected.
I'd want to see at least a four hour run, error free, before accepting
that my new computer is working well.

Try that test, and report back.

Paul
From: tanix on
In article <hgg201$9da$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>tanix wrote:
>> In article <UoednU9yoKCg-bbWnZ2dnUVZ7tli4p2d(a)bt.com>, Darklight
> <nglennglen(a)netscape.net> wrote:

>>> what happens if you run sp2, i had problems with xp sp3 ?
>>>
>>> if your running win7 why don't you try virtualbox in win7 and install xp
>>> in virtualbox. and see what happens
>>
>> That is interesting proposition. Except I don't know what is virtual box
>> at teh moment. No experience with win 7.
>> I need to run my own monitoring firewall. Unfortunately, for some strange
>> reason, it does not run under win 7. Complains about being unable to
>> connect to NDIS intermediate driver and see not a single reason for it
>> not to be able to connect. Since is is a clean NDIS driver that works
>> like a chapm on XP. I just have no time to get into it right now.
>>
>> If I could install that that driver from virtual box, I'd be willing
>> to run all my networking from XP in virtual box. But it prolly won't
>> work I guess. Would be nice if it did with some magic trick.
>>
>> But do you guys think it may have something to do with XP scheduler?
>> (i mean firefox locking up the box issue).
>>
>> I posted to microsoft driver and kernel groups and they claim it is
>> a firefox issue. But how come it runs fine unded win 7 then?
>>

>What is missing from this thread, is any evidence the computer has
>been tested for correct computing operation. Try a stress test program.
>
>http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
>
>This is the download I'd use on my WinXP 32 bit machine.
>
>http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/p95v259.zip

Well, I did run memtest86 for about 20 hrs. and I did run
Prime95 for several hours although I don't think it is sufficient
to test your box.

The problem with Prime95 is that it simply loads up all your cores
with heavy duty math processing. But that does not test other modes
of memory transfers, such as DMA. And if you run it stand alone,
as I did, it does not test the network drivers, or, for that matter,
ANY other drivers in your box.

So, to me, Prime95 is of not much use, at least in the cases like mine.
It does load your cores and your temperature goes up to 53C.
But I just do not feel these tests are sufficient.

>The program will stop a thread of execution, if an error is detected.
>I'd want to see at least a four hour run, error free, before accepting
>that my new computer is working well.

Well, I ran it for about 3 hours.

>Try that test, and report back.

Report: no problems found with memory and after running Prime95 for
several hours, which is prolly 10 times more than enough for this
particular problem. Because box is guaranteed to freeze after doing
the first round of page refreshes by switching tabs in a rapid
succession for 6 pages. It pretty much happens from the 1st try.

I did disable all the firefox addons except of imacros.
Since then, i tried several rounds of rapid page refreshes
hitting page refresh as soon as rotating wheel, indicating page

So far, after about 4 rounds (each refreshing 6 pages), box did not
lock up. Too early to say if it is an addon problem. I'll have to
give it a few days. I just pray it IS the addon issue.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

From: Paul on
tanix wrote:

> Could be. But what I am missing here is how come the MOUSE
> is getting frozen. Mouse is about the highest priority there is.

You could always file a report on bugzilla.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

Paul
From: tanix on
In article <hgi8j3$b7c$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>tanix wrote:
>

>> Could be. But what I am missing here is how come the MOUSE
>> is getting frozen. Mouse is about the highest priority there is.
>>

>You could always file a report on bugzilla.
>
>https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

Thanx. Appreciated.
The problem with filing a bug report is that I doubt they
would be willing to even look at it without having either
a snapshot, which is impossible to get in this case, or
knowing exactly how to reproduce it.

Considering the fact that XP is a "no priority" issue,
the chances they'll look at it are as slim as it gets,
and the chances of it getting fixed are just the same.

So...

But thanx for your suggestion.

From: Paul on
tanix wrote:
> In article <hgi8j3$b7c$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>> tanix wrote:
>>
>>> Could be. But what I am missing here is how come the MOUSE
>>> is getting frozen. Mouse is about the highest priority there is.
>>>
>> You could always file a report on bugzilla.
>>
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
>
> Thanx. Appreciated.
> The problem with filing a bug report is that I doubt they
> would be willing to even look at it without having either
> a snapshot, which is impossible to get in this case, or
> knowing exactly how to reproduce it.
>
> Considering the fact that XP is a "no priority" issue,
> the chances they'll look at it are as slim as it gets,
> and the chances of it getting fixed are just the same.
>
> So...
>
> But thanx for your suggestion.

If their add-on or plug-in architecture has some security issues
or holes, even if they aren't interested in the details of your
bug report, it might give them something to think about when
architecting things in the future. If I was a Firefox developer,
I'd be a little curious how your symptoms could happen.

Paul
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: CRT Resolution Trouble