From: Gary Brown on
Hi,

Most monitors nowadays are widescreen. What is the advantage?
I would prefer to get taller, not wider.

Thanks,
Gary

From: UCLAN on
Gary Brown wrote:

> Most monitors nowadays are widescreen. What is the advantage?
> I would prefer to get taller, not wider.

Stop eating. Put yourself on a "rack" daily.

Seriously, most films are shot in an aspect ratio close to 2.35:1. The
HDTV aspect ratio of 16:9 (1.78:1) is closer to this than is the CRT's 4:3
(1.33:1) resulting in narrower vertical bars when viewing theatrical DVDs.

Add to this, the ATSC SD/HD specification calls for 16:9. All HDTV is
16:9. A 4:3 monitor will have those vertical bars on the top and bottom.
From: Bug Dout on
It's more natural for people to scan (move their eyes) side-to-side than
up and down...hence the shift to screen wider in both TV and monitors.
--
The essence of drama is that man cannot walk away from the
consequences of his own deeds.
From: William on
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:59:20 -0800, Bug Dout <buggsy2(a)mailinator.com>
wrote:

>It's more natural for people to scan (move their eyes) side-to-side than
>up and down...hence the shift to screen wider in both TV and monitors.

Also, it is exactly how we see.. our natural vision is a kind of super
widescreen.

Best useful objects are the ones that resemble human perceptions.

A controller is made to be used by a human hand, as example, a
torchlight is made that way because it's easier to focus the light in
a specific direction with a simple movement.

There's a huge list of examples that can be made.

--
http://shop-for-computer.com

Special prices, best deals, refurbished computers.
From: Cliff on

"Gary Brown" <garyjbrown(a)charter.net> wrote
> Most monitors nowadays are widescreen. What is the advantage?

Mutiple programs open and available at the same time. I can open word and
excell at the same time, resize the windows and copy and paste data twice as
fast (or more) and still keep an eye on my e-mail for new mail.

Cliff