From: Bit Twister on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:21:55 -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:

> Currently firefox 3.6.6. is sucking up about 61% of my Core(TM)2 Duo
> CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz. Before upgrading to 2.6.6 it usually only sat
> there consuming about 25% of CPU time. Which I think is itself
> ludicrous, when I am not actively using firefox, and the only thing
> that should, in principle, be using CPU time is some annoying web site
> which feels the need to update an image every 5 or 10 seconds.

That is pretty abusive. Best I can see is 15% cpu on webpage launch
then settles back to 1% or less on my 32 bit OS.

Then again, I use privoxy proxy to block ad sites, NoScript addon with
about everything disabled, and I have told firefox to not prefetch all
links in a web page and have turned off ipv6, safebrowsing, and update checks.

http://www.privoxy.org/
http://www.neilvandyke.org/privoxy-rules/

$ cat user.js
/*
* user.js - local node firefox preferences
* To make a manual change to preferences, you can visit the URL about:config
* For more information, see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
*/
user_pref("app.update.auto", false);
user_pref("app.update.enabled", false);
user_pref("app.update.mode", 0);
user_pref("browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone", false);
user_pref("browser.formfill.enable", false);
user_pref("browser.history_expire_days_min",89);
user_pref("browser.privatebrowsing.dont_prompt_on_enter", true);
user_pref("browser.rights.3.shown", true);
user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.search.update", false);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.interval", 300000);
user_pref("browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser", false);
user_pref("browser.tabs.loadInBackground", false);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll", false);
user_pref("extensions.update.enabled", false);
user_pref("font.minimum-size.x-western", 14);
user_pref("font.size.fixed.x-western", 14);
user_pref("font.size.variable.x-western", 14);
user_pref("general.appname.override", "Mozilla");
user_pref("general.warnOnAboutConfig", false);
user_pref("geo.enabled", false);
user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6", true);
user_pref("network.dns.disablePrefetch", true);
user_pref("network.prefetch-next", false);
user_pref("network.proxy.http", "127.0.0.1");
user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 8118);
user_pref("network.proxy.no_proxies_on", "");
user_pref("network.proxy.ssl", "127.0.0.1");
user_pref("network.proxy.ssl_port", 8118);
user_pref("network.proxy.type", 1);
user_pref("privacy.clearOnShutdown.offlineApps", true);
user_pref("privacy.clearOnShutdown.passwords", true);
user_pref("privacy.clearOnShutdown.siteSettings", true);
user_pref("privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs", true);
user_pref("privacy.sanitize.sanitizeOnShutdown", true);
user_pref("privacy.sanitize.timeSpan", 0);
user_pref("security.warn_viewing_mixed", false);
user_pref("signon.rememberSignons", false);
From: Jerry Peters on
Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)deletethis.acadiau.ca> wrote:
> On 2010-07-06 at 19:21 ADT, barnabyh <abuse(a)spamtrap.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:49:41 +0000 (UTC)
>> geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the suggestions guys.
>>>
>>> The solution turned out to be something different - and very simple.
>>> I noticed that root didn't have the same slowness - so I wondered if
>>> the user's cache or something was corrupted..
>>>
>>> So I renamed my user's ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla.old - having first
>>> exported all my bookmarks. Next run of firefox recreated ~/.mozilla
>>> and all problems of slowness gone. Imported the bookmarks and job's a
>>> good'un.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Peter
>
>> barnabyh replies:
>
>> Told you it was the profile, it is behind 99% of perceived problems
>> with FF.
>
> Yeah, but that is only a partial answer. For example, if you had had
> some plugin which was causing you grief, then you might once again
> come to grief if you re-install the plugin.
>
> Or, if you had lots of windows open when it was eating CPU time, and
> it isn't now but you only have one window with one tab open, then you
> might find the problem re-occurs later.
>

> Currently firefox 3.6.6. is sucking up about 61% of my Core(TM)2 Duo
> CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz. Before upgrading to 2.6.6 it usually only sat
> there consuming about 25% of CPU time. Which I think is itself
> ludicrous, when I am not actively using firefox, and the only thing
> that should, in principle, be using CPU time is some annoying web site
> which feels the need to update an image every 5 or 10 seconds.
>

> In case anyone is still reading this thread, let me add on a new
> question. Sometimes (1 in 10?) when I resume from S2R, firefox goes
> berserk and sucks up 100% of my CPU time. (100% of one core.) Now
> that there seem to be two firefox processes sucking CPU time
> (/usr/lib64/firefox-3.6.6/firefox-bin and
> /usr/lib64/firefox-3.6.6/plugin-container) it has the ability to suck
> up 100% on both cores.
>
> Does anyone else here see firefox do this to you when your laptop
> wakes up from suspend?
>
> Thanks.
> Jim

I've seen it happen sometimes when I resume my desktop system from
disk. Hasn't happened for quite a while now, and the desktop uptime
was 40 days, with at least one suspend per day.

Jerry
From: Jim Diamond on
On 2010-07-07 at 12:37 ADT, Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:21:55 -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:
>>
>> Currently firefox 3.6.6. is sucking up about 61% of my Core(TM)2 Duo
>> CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz. Before upgrading to 2.6.6 it usually only sat
>> there consuming about 25% of CPU time. Which I think is itself
>> ludicrous, when I am not actively using firefox, and the only thing
>> that should, in principle, be using CPU time is some annoying web site
>> which feels the need to update an image every 5 or 10 seconds.

> That is pretty abusive.
You have a talent for understatement :-)

> Best I can see is 15% cpu on webpage launch then settles back to 1%
> or less on my 32 bit OS.
That sounds reasonable. I am using Slackware 64, I don't know if that
might explain part of the problem. Maybe I should install 32-bit
firefox and give it a try. (I have the multilib packages installed,
so it might be a quick experiment.)

> Then again, I use privoxy proxy to block ad sites,
I use AdBlockPlus for that, so I see virtually no ads. I would hope
that AdBlockPlus only uses CPU time when a page is loading. (Or when
it updates its database, presumably, which I would hope would not
explain anything near the amount of CPU time being used.

> NoScript addon with about everything disabled,
Ditto.
> and I have told firefox to not prefetch all links in a web page and
> have turned off ipv6, safebrowsing, and update checks.
Haven't done those.

> http://www.privoxy.org/
> http://www.neilvandyke.org/privoxy-rules/
>
> $ cat user.js
user.js? I have prefs.js.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Jim
From: Jim Diamond on
On 2010-07-07 at 17:00 ADT, Jerry Peters <jerry(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)deletethis.acadiau.ca> wrote:

>> In case anyone is still reading this thread, let me add on a new
>> question. Sometimes (1 in 10?) when I resume from S2R, firefox goes
>> berserk and sucks up 100% of my CPU time. (100% of one core.) Now
>> that there seem to be two firefox processes sucking CPU time
>> (/usr/lib64/firefox-3.6.6/firefox-bin and
>> /usr/lib64/firefox-3.6.6/plugin-container) it has the ability to suck
>> up 100% on both cores.

>> Does anyone else here see firefox do this to you when your laptop
>> wakes up from suspend?

> I've seen it happen sometimes when I resume my desktop system from
> disk. Hasn't happened for quite a while now, and the desktop uptime
> was 40 days, with at least one suspend per day.

I guess I shouldn't have excluded desktops from my question. Anyway,
I'm (sort of) glad to see that someone else has seen something weird
like this happen. Thanks for getting back.

Jim
From: Bit Twister on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 21:30:28 -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:
> On 2010-07-07 at 12:37 ADT, Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>> $ cat user.js
> user.js? I have prefs.js.

That sounds about right.

As I misunderstand it, firefox creates your prefs.js from the system
configuration files (components/*.js) then user's user.js.

When you use about: config you are modifying prefs.js.