From: geep on
Hi,
Since I updated to Firefox 3.6.6 it is so slow.
It takes minutes to start up, and then the perfornance is awful.
Scrolling up and down a page - sometimes OK and sometimes it momentarily
freezes.
And sometimes clicking links is not responsive.

Seamonkey 2.0.5 is like lightning on the same pages in comparison.

Anybody else see this problem?
Any ideas about a solution? I have already reinstalled it.

Didn't have these problems with the previous Firefox - maybe I'll revert.

Cheers,
Peter
From: barnabyh on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:16:16 +0000 (UTC)
geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:

> Didn't have these problems with the previous Firefox - maybe I'll
> revert.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Don't have this problem on 486, FF is very fast. Actually never have
FF crashing and all the things people complain about with it. Did you
try a new profile, or maybe deleting extensions if you have any?

Cheers,

Barnabyh

--
The general public is a bunch of morons who destroy the fun and life in
everything it collectively touches. Disney is what the public wants.

From: Robert Komar on
geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Since I updated to Firefox 3.6.6 it is so slow.
> It takes minutes to start up, and then the perfornance is awful.
> Scrolling up and down a page - sometimes OK and sometimes it momentarily
> freezes.
> And sometimes clicking links is not responsive.
>
> Seamonkey 2.0.5 is like lightning on the same pages in comparison.
>
> Anybody else see this problem?
> Any ideas about a solution? I have already reinstalled it.
>
> Didn't have these problems with the previous Firefox - maybe I'll revert.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

I had similar problems until I updated my flash plugin. Look in
~/.xsession-errors for problem logs; they'll probably tell you what
is really wrong.

Cheers,
Rob Komar
From: geep on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:20:26 +0000, Robert Komar wrote:

> geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Since I updated to Firefox 3.6.6 it is so slow. It takes minutes to
>> start up, and then the perfornance is awful. Scrolling up and down a
>> page - sometimes OK and sometimes it momentarily freezes.
>> And sometimes clicking links is not responsive.
>>
>> Seamonkey 2.0.5 is like lightning on the same pages in comparison.
>>
>> Anybody else see this problem?
>> Any ideas about a solution? I have already reinstalled it.
>>
>> Didn't have these problems with the previous Firefox - maybe I'll
>> revert.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>
> I had similar problems until I updated my flash plugin. Look in
> ~/.xsession-errors for problem logs; they'll probably tell you what is
> really wrong.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob Komar

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The solution turned out to be something different - and very simple.
I noticed that root didn't have the same slowness - so I wondered if the
user's cache or something was corrupted..

So I renamed my user's ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla.old - having first
exported all my bookmarks. Next run of firefox recreated ~/.mozilla and
all problems of slowness gone. Imported the bookmarks and job's a good'un.

Cheers,
Peter

From: Jim Diamond on
On 2010-07-06 at 19:21 ADT, barnabyh <abuse(a)spamtrap.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:49:41 +0000 (UTC)
> geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:20:26 +0000, Robert Komar wrote:
>>
>> > geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions guys.
>>
>> The solution turned out to be something different - and very simple.
>> I noticed that root didn't have the same slowness - so I wondered if
>> the user's cache or something was corrupted..
>>
>> So I renamed my user's ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla.old - having first
>> exported all my bookmarks. Next run of firefox recreated ~/.mozilla
>> and all problems of slowness gone. Imported the bookmarks and job's a
>> good'un.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Peter

> barnabyh replies:

> Told you it was the profile, it is behind 99% of perceived problems
> with FF.

Yeah, but that is only a partial answer. For example, if you had had
some plugin which was causing you grief, then you might once again
come to grief if you re-install the plugin.

Or, if you had lots of windows open when it was eating CPU time, and
it isn't now but you only have one window with one tab open, then you
might find the problem re-occurs later.

Currently firefox 3.6.6. is sucking up about 61% of my Core(TM)2 Duo
CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz. Before upgrading to 2.6.6 it usually only sat
there consuming about 25% of CPU time. Which I think is itself
ludicrous, when I am not actively using firefox, and the only thing
that should, in principle, be using CPU time is some annoying web site
which feels the need to update an image every 5 or 10 seconds.

In case anyone is still reading this thread, let me add on a new
question. Sometimes (1 in 10?) when I resume from S2R, firefox goes
berserk and sucks up 100% of my CPU time. (100% of one core.) Now
that there seem to be two firefox processes sucking CPU time
(/usr/lib64/firefox-3.6.6/firefox-bin and
/usr/lib64/firefox-3.6.6/plugin-container) it has the ability to suck
up 100% on both cores.

Does anyone else here see firefox do this to you when your laptop
wakes up from suspend?

Thanks.
Jim