From: Barnabyh on

* Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)deletethis.AcadiaU.ca> wrote:
> On 2010-07-06 at 19:21 ADT, barnabyh <abuse(a)spamtrap.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:49:41 +0000 (UTC)
>> geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:

>> barnabyh replies:
>
>> Told you it was the profile, it is behind 99% of perceived problems
>> with FF.
>
> Yeah, but that is only a partial answer. For example, if you had had
> some plugin which was causing you grief, then you might once again
> come to grief if you re-install the plugin.

True, it would be far better to actually know what caused it. I tend to
believe that it is some corruption of the profile chrome that causes these
problems, because I've simply never run into it.
At present I have 18 extensions installed, 1 language pack, 7 skins,
plus multimedia plugins (totem, vlc, flash, java)
Or maybe just lucky. Plus I always keep flash and all other stuff up to
date.

> Currently firefox 3.6.6. is sucking up about 61% of my Core(TM)2 Duo
> CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz. Before upgrading to 2.6.6 it usually only sat
> there consuming about 25% of CPU time. Which I think is itself
> ludicrous, when I am not actively using firefox, and the only thing
> that should, in principle, be using CPU time is some annoying web site
> which feels the need to update an image every 5 or 10 seconds.

On this now old AMD Athlon II 4200 @ 2200MHz (socket 939) FF is idle
while I write this, with 0% cpu usage, and 4.8% memory usage of 3GB, with
three tabs open. Cpu is at 1000MHz on ondemand scaling.
With xmms running. htop, thunar and gkrellm both cores average around
10%.
While I think that sometimes Seamonkey seems better suited I can't
really get away from the useful extensions, like many people have
found :) But also luckily I won't have to. Even on a distribution like
PCLOS FF has never exited unexpectedly or been slow, although 2.x was a
bit sluggish I think, but that might have been the distro and the
Pentium M. On Slackware it seems cleaner and faster.
Without trying to look smug or anything, I'm sometimes puzzled reading
about all these problems people are reporting with FF, it's worked well
here since 0.7 despite creeping bloat.
I also use a host file though to filter out adverts, plus adblock and
Request Policy (bit similar to Noscript), so I hardly get anything I
don't want to see, and am sure it keeps some cr@p out. That may or may
not have something to do with cpu usage.

> In case anyone is still reading this thread, let me add on a new
> question. Sometimes (1 in 10?) when I resume from S2R, firefox goes
> berserk and sucks up 100% of my CPU time. (100% of one core.) Now
> that there seem to be two firefox processes sucking CPU time
> (/usr/lib64/firefox-3.6.6/firefox-bin and
> /usr/lib64/firefox-3.6.6/plugin-container) it has the ability to suck
> up 100% on both cores.
>
> Does anyone else here see firefox do this to you when your laptop
> wakes up from suspend?
>
> Thanks.

Didn't notice that here, but then it does not stay up much longer than
7-8 days, with about 5-6 suspends for the night (Desktop). Unfortunately
no laptop at the moment.

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem. Doesn't sound like something
one would want to tolerate for very long. Good luck.
If you find out please post back, would be interesting nevertheless.

> Jim

Barnabyh

--
Barnaby.Hoffmann
Linux User #398054
From: Helmut Hullen on
Hallo, Jim,

Du meintest am 07.07.10:

>> $ cat user.js

> user.js? I have prefs.js.

With "user.js" you can predefine some configuration options. I use to
copy them from "prefs.js".

They are loaded when you start "firefox".

If needed you can change them in "prefs.js" via the URL "about:config".

Viele Gruesse
Helmut