From: Mike Jones on
Responding to geep:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:20:26 +0000, Robert Komar wrote:
>
>> geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Since I updated to Firefox 3.6.6 it is so slow. It takes minutes to
>>> start up, and then the perfornance is awful. Scrolling up and down a
>>> page - sometimes OK and sometimes it momentarily freezes. And
>>> sometimes clicking links is not responsive.
>>>
>>> Seamonkey 2.0.5 is like lightning on the same pages in comparison.
>>>
>>> Anybody else see this problem?
>>> Any ideas about a solution? I have already reinstalled it.
>>>
>>> Didn't have these problems with the previous Firefox - maybe I'll
>>> revert.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Peter
>>
>> I had similar problems until I updated my flash plugin. Look in
>> ~/.xsession-errors for problem logs; they'll probably tell you what is
>> really wrong.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob Komar
>
> Thanks for the suggestions guys.
>
> The solution turned out to be something different - and very simple. I
> noticed that root didn't have the same slowness - so I wondered if the
> user's cache or something was corrupted..
>
> So I renamed my user's ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla.old - having first
> exported all my bookmarks. Next run of firefox recreated ~/.mozilla and
> all problems of slowness gone. Imported the bookmarks and job's a
> good'un.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

So thats your solution, but did you figure out what caused the problem?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: barnabyh on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:49:41 +0000 (UTC)
geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:20:26 +0000, Robert Komar wrote:
>
> > geep <geep(a)boursomail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the suggestions guys.
>
> The solution turned out to be something different - and very simple.
> I noticed that root didn't have the same slowness - so I wondered if
> the user's cache or something was corrupted..
>
> So I renamed my user's ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla.old - having first
> exported all my bookmarks. Next run of firefox recreated ~/.mozilla
> and all problems of slowness gone. Imported the bookmarks and job's a
> good'un.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

barnabyh replies:

Told you it was the profile, it is behind 99% of perceived problems
with FF.

--
Barnaby.Hoffmann
Linux User #398054