From: Dave Farrance on
Original image:

http://anvil.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/alice1.png

Hit zoom in Firefox (ctrl-+) three times using both Firefox for Linux and
Firefox for Windows -- and look at the difference:

http://anvil.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/alice1-zoom-comp.png

The Linux version isn't anti-aliassed and it's got jaggies all over it.
Why? X-windows can handle it, obviously, since I'm running it on Wine.

(I'm using Mandriva 10.0 with the nVidia proprietary X.org driver.)

--
Dave Farrance
From: Mike Easter on
Dave Farrance wrote:

> Hit zoom in Firefox (ctrl-+) three times using both Firefox for Linux
> and Firefox for Windows -- and look at the difference:

IMO inmyopinion that is a 'dumb' test/experiment, where 'dumb' in this
context means an experiment which is not well designed and therefore is
likely or prone to give results which aren't particularly useful.

If you are going to design an experiment, you should determine what
parameters you are seeking to test so that you can isolate or focus on
those parameters.

Saying "I noticed that when I zoom in linux firefox I get a funkier
result than when I zoom in win firefox." doesn't advance anything
useful.

--
Mike Easter

From: Dave Farrance on
"Mike Easter" <MikeE(a)ster.invalid> wrote:

>Dave Farrance wrote:
>
>> Hit zoom in Firefox (ctrl-+) three times using both Firefox for Linux
>> and Firefox for Windows -- and look at the difference:
>
>IMO inmyopinion that is a 'dumb' test/experiment, where 'dumb' in this
>context means an experiment which is not well designed and therefore is
>likely or prone to give results which aren't particularly useful.

I've not got as far as any tests. I've reported an observation, here.

>If you are going to design an experiment, you should determine what
>parameters you are seeking to test so that you can isolate or focus on
>those parameters.

The results are visible, but to me, the cause is not. Hence my posting it
here so that somebody might say that they know what's going on, or indeed,
suggest a test or experiment.

>Saying "I noticed that when I zoom in linux firefox I get a funkier
>result than when I zoom in win firefox." doesn't advance anything
>useful.

Hence the screen capture that I posted which shows the problem clearly
enough. Maybe you might find something useful to say?

--
Dave Farrance
From: Mike Easter on
Dave Farrance wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Dave Farrance wrote:
>>
>>> Hit zoom in Firefox (ctrl-+) three times using both Firefox for
Linux
>>> and Firefox for Windows -- and look at the difference:
>>
>> IMO inmyopinion that is a 'dumb' test/experiment,

> Hence the screen capture that I posted which shows the problem clearly
> enough.

You are missing my point.

--
Mike Easter

From: Dave Farrance on
"Mike Easter" <MikeE(a)ster.invalid> wrote:

>Dave Farrance wrote:

>Linux
>>>
>>> IMO inmyopinion that is a 'dumb' test/experiment,
>
>> Hence the screen capture that I posted which shows the problem clearly
>> enough.
>
>You are missing my point.

My best guess is that you missed the fact that the original post was posed
as a question. The word "Why?" is in there.

--
Dave Farrance