From: Christopher Muto on
Robert L. Altic Jr. wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> I switched ports for the WD external drive that is working and both
> ports work with it. I am thinking that it must be the cable that is
> the problem. The other drive works fine with USB. I didn't try the
> cable that is currently in use on the second drive. I'll do that the
> next time that I boot up. For now, I guess I will continue to use the
> second WD external as a USB. Thanks for the help. Oh, one other
> thing, the cable that I was trying to use has IEEE 1394 stamped on it.
> That is a firewire cable correct? It has the correct plugs on the
> ends. Best, Bob
>

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:43:04 -0700 (PDT), "William R. Walsh"
> <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>>> Are both firewire ports supposed to be active?
>> Yes. Both Firewire ports ought to be active and usable with no further
>> action required.
>>
>> It's likely that the port which does not work has simply gone bad.
>> Multiple Firewire ports are handled by the one controller (inside the
>> computer) so that's all you would see installed.
>>
>> There are a couple of things that can happen to break Firewire ports:
>>
>> 1. Firewire ports are fused. The fuse is supposed to reset itself but
>> it may not in the face of a sufficiently catastrophic failure.
>>
>> 2. Firewire cables can be plugged in the wrong way round by mistake.
>> Power and data wires get swapped by doing this, and the usual result
>> is damage to either the device (most likely outcome) or the port and
>> PHY (inside the computer) to which it is connected. (I didn't believe
>> it either until I'd done it! And then there was a Fire at the end of
>> the wire.)
>>
>> Maybe it never worked?
>>
>> You can daisy chain Firewire devices, but anything beyond six or seven
>> devices on one port may be problematic, especially with longer cables.
>> (Shorter cables usually work fine.) If you don't have that many
>> devices, you will generally be OK as long as your cables are good and
>> work normally with just one device.
>>
>> William

sounds like it is indeed a cable problem, or a problem with the port on
the wd drive. why not try the suspect cable with the working wd drive
and vice versa to pinpoint the problem before wasting time/money on a
new cable. or buy the same type of cable here...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10301
From: Robert L. Altic Jr. on
Hi William,
Sounds like a plan. I see that the cable is a 6pin to 6 pin, I have
checked the drive and the computer and both are 6 pins. I'll switch
cables when I boot up next time and see what happens. I think it may
be a bad cable or the port on the WD drive might be bad. I am pretty
sure that both ports on the computer are ok. Thanks again...Bob