From: admiral_victory on

I have XP Pro SP2 installed in an AZUS K8V SE Deluxe M/B. The Primary
bootable drive is already installed and is a 80 Gbte Seagate IDE PATA
drive.

Due to a secondary PATA drive failing , I am attempting to replace
this second drive with a MAXTOR 200 Gbte SATA drive.

This is my first attempt at installaing a SATA drive and I think I may
have plugged this SATA drive into the wrong place on the m/b.

There are 4 SATA drive connection points on this board marked
"PRI_SATA" , "SEC_SATA" , "SATA1" & "SATA2"

These are all 7-pin connectors.

I have plugged my SATA drive into the connector "PRI_SATA" .

After Boot-up , I now get a message on the Boot-up screen saying "NO
ARRAY IS DEFINED" and the second SATA drive does not appear in Device
Manager.

As I don't want to set up an ARRAY , I suspect that I should have
connected this SATA drive to the connection "SATA1" instead of to
"PRI_SATA"

Is this a correct assumptiom?

Is it also necessary to instal a SATA driver in order for this new
SATA drive to be seen in Device Manager ?

This last question seems to be covered in Section 5.6.1 to 5.6.5 of
the K8V SE Deluxe "User's Guide" but I'm confused which SATA driver
should be installed when no ARRAY setup is desired but merely a setup
so that this second SATA drive can be seen and accessed just as my
previously failed second drive was accessed.

Can anyone point to where on the K8V SE Deluxe "User's Guide" and the
included CD I can find this driver , please ?

B.N.
--

to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"
From: admiral_victory on
Thanks for the answers.

Here are some extra questions I have as a result of your comments:-

> Also, some tips for running sata drives + dvd burner (no raid):
>
>a) The sata hard drives go on the Promise and the dvd on the Via.

How do I actually do this - by inserting the SATA drive cable into the
SATA1 " connection point on the m/b?

I don't see any reference to this in the User Guide.?

>b) Promise controller set to 'enabled-ide mode',

I presume this is done in the BIOS somewhere ?

>c) XP w/SP-2 won't make a start-up floppy disk that will allow you to
> access drives running on the Promise controller.

So how do I get the SATA drive to work if this method of installing
drives for this controller is unavailable in XP/SP2 .? (You say in a)
that the SATA drives should go on the Promise controller.)

>f) An ide hard drive will work in conjunction with the sata drives if installed
>on the Pri raid ide connection.

Does this mean if , as I intend , to install a secondary SATA drive
by inserting the SATA drive cable into the "SATA1" connection slot,
this drive will now be recognised as a NON-BOOTABLE drive?

Sorry for the "newbie" questions but these things really puzzle me !

B.N.
--

to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"
From: Ben Dover on
admiral_victory(a)iol.ie blabbered in

> Thanks for the answers.
>
> Here are some extra questions I have as a result of your comments:-
>

>> Also, some tips for running sata drives + dvd burner (no raid):
>>
>>a) The sata hard drives go on the Promise and the dvd on the Via.
>
> How do I actually do this - by inserting the SATA drive cable into the
> SATA1 " connection point on the m/b?
>
> I don't see any reference to this in the User Guide.?
>

>>b) Promise controller set to 'enabled-ide mode',
>
> I presume this is done in the BIOS somewhere ?
>

>>c) XP w/SP-2 won't make a start-up floppy disk that will allow you to
>> access drives running on the Promise controller.
>
> So how do I get the SATA drive to work if this method of installing
> drives for this controller is unavailable in XP/SP2 .? (You say in a)
> that the SATA drives should go on the Promise controller.)
>
>>f) An ide hard drive will work in conjunction with the sata drives if
>>installed on the Pri raid ide connection.
>
> Does this mean if , as I intend , to install a secondary SATA drive
> by inserting the SATA drive cable into the "SATA1" connection slot,
> this drive will now be recognised as a NON-BOOTABLE drive?
>
> Sorry for the "newbie" questions but these things really puzzle me !
>
> B.N.
> --
>
> to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

So you're installing an SATA drive as a second hard disk, not using a
RAID array, and the OS is XP/SP2? No problem. SP2 recognises SATA drives
natively - no drivers needed unless it's for RAID. Just connect the drive
to SATA-1 and let'er rip.
My system has 3 SATA hard drives (no IDE's) and each one was detected and
setup by XP at boot.