From: Ronald Cole on
What's the difference? A cursory look on Intel's site shows the same
2x5 header with the same missing pin.

I bought an Antec Sonata II case and the manual doesn't tell me which
front panel type I have. But the BIOS on my P5WD2-E Premium demands
to know! I've googled ASUS, Antec, the web and usenet to no avail.
Shirley, I'm not the first person to ask this question (at least
publicly), am I? What do I tell my BIOS?!?

Ronald Cole <ronald(a)forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
From: Anthony Horan on
On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:13:25 -0700, Ronald Cole wrote:

> What's the difference? A cursory look on Intel's site shows the same
> 2x5 header with the same missing pin.
>
> I bought an Antec Sonata II case and the manual doesn't tell me which
> front panel type I have. But the BIOS on my P5WD2-E Premium demands
> to know! I've googled ASUS, Antec, the web and usenet to no avail.
> Shirley, I'm not the first person to ask this question (at least
> publicly), am I? What do I tell my BIOS?!?

In my experience (with the P5LD2 in the Sonata II case) it makes no
difference. I just set mine to HD Audio and forgot about it. All works as
it should.
From: Paul on
In article <m3r72x1pt6.fsf(a)yakisoba.forte-intl.com>, Ronald Cole
<ronald(a)forte-intl.com> wrote:

> What's the difference? A cursory look on Intel's site shows the same
> 2x5 header with the same missing pin.
>
> I bought an Antec Sonata II case and the manual doesn't tell me which
> front panel type I have. But the BIOS on my P5WD2-E Premium demands
> to know! I've googled ASUS, Antec, the web and usenet to no avail.
> Shirley, I'm not the first person to ask this question (at least
> publicly), am I? What do I tell my BIOS?!?

ttp://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/SonataII_En.pdf

1. Microphone Signal Pin: Connect the MIC connector to this pin.
2. Microphone Power: Connect the MIC-BIAS connector to this pin.
3. Ground Pin: Connect the AUD GND connector to this pin.
4. Front Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the FPOUT-R connector to this pin.
5. Front Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the FPOUT-L connector to this pin.
6. Rear Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the RET-R connector to this pin.
7. Rear Left Speaker Out Pin: Connect RET-L connector to this pin.

That is an AC-97 set of signals. Set the BIOS for AC-97 and
wire according to AC-97 signal names ("AC-97 audio pin definition"
in the manual). There is no place to hook up RET-R and RET-L and
they are left dangling. The HDAudio chip switches audio at the
chip, so the mute function provided by RET-R and RET-L (which
are not hooked up), would have to be emulated by the HDAudio
chip. It means the HDAudio needs to be able to "detect" that
headphones are plugged into the headphone jack, in order for
the software to turn off the green speaker output. If your
HDAudio chip cannot do that for you, it would mean the speakers
and headphones would run at the same time.

The HDAudio pinout standard has some sense pins for switch
closures, and that is how it can tell headphones have been plugged
in. It means a computer case manufacturer has to use audio jacks,
that have a separate contact pair that indicates a plug has
been inserted.

I have yet to see a computer case, with "HDAudio" wiring
(in my casual travels helping people hook up that stuff - I'm not
a pro builder). If the computer case has several wires with the
word "SENSE" in the name, then that computer case may in fact be
HDAudio ready. I'm still waiting to see one.

HTH,
Paul
From: Ronald Cole on
nospam(a)needed.com (Paul) writes:
> In article <m3r72x1pt6.fsf(a)yakisoba.forte-intl.com>, Ronald Cole
> <ronald(a)forte-intl.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the difference? A cursory look on Intel's site shows the same
>> 2x5 header with the same missing pin.
>>
>> I bought an Antec Sonata II case and the manual doesn't tell me which
>> front panel type I have. But the BIOS on my P5WD2-E Premium demands
>> to know! I've googled ASUS, Antec, the web and usenet to no avail.
>> Shirley, I'm not the first person to ask this question (at least
>> publicly), am I? What do I tell my BIOS?!?
>
> ttp://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/SonataII_En.pdf
>
> 1. Microphone Signal Pin: Connect the MIC connector to this pin.
> 2. Microphone Power: Connect the MIC-BIAS connector to this pin.
> 3. Ground Pin: Connect the AUD GND connector to this pin.
> 4. Front Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the FPOUT-R connector to this pin.
> 5. Front Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the FPOUT-L connector to this pin.
> 6. Rear Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the RET-R connector to this pin.
> 7. Rear Left Speaker Out Pin: Connect RET-L connector to this pin.
>
> That is an AC-97 set of signals. Set the BIOS for AC-97 and
> wire according to AC-97 signal names ("AC-97 audio pin definition"
> in the manual). There is no place to hook up RET-R and RET-L and
> they are left dangling. The HDAudio chip switches audio at the
> chip, so the mute function provided by RET-R and RET-L (which
> are not hooked up), would have to be emulated by the HDAudio
> chip. It means the HDAudio needs to be able to "detect" that
> headphones are plugged into the headphone jack, in order for
> the software to turn off the green speaker output. If your
> HDAudio chip cannot do that for you, it would mean the speakers
> and headphones would run at the same time.
>
> The HDAudio pinout standard has some sense pins for switch
> closures, and that is how it can tell headphones have been plugged
> in. It means a computer case manufacturer has to use audio jacks,
> that have a separate contact pair that indicates a plug has
> been inserted.
>
> I have yet to see a computer case, with "HDAudio" wiring
> (in my casual travels helping people hook up that stuff - I'm not
> a pro builder). If the computer case has several wires with the
> word "SENSE" in the name, then that computer case may in fact be
> HDAudio ready. I'm still waiting to see one.

Ok, I think I figured out where I got confused... The motherboard
manual shows a diagram with two 5x2 pinouts: one with nine connections
and one with five connections, and labels the five connection pinout
"AC'97 audio pin definition." However, the Sonata II manual shows
seven connections and calls it an "Intel standard 10-pin connector"!
On closer inspection, I couldn't find any "Rear Speaker" jack on the
front panel of the Sonata II case (although I have yet to remove the
front case cover to see just where the wires connected to those two
rear speaker pins go to). I'll accept that it appears to be an AC'97
front panel in every other respect.

Thanks for the reply!

From: Paul on
In article <m37j4p120x.fsf(a)yakisoba.forte-intl.com>, Ronald Cole
<ronald(a)forte-intl.com> wrote:

> Ok, I think I figured out where I got confused... The motherboard
> manual shows a diagram with two 5x2 pinouts: one with nine connections
> and one with five connections, and labels the five connection pinout
> "AC'97 audio pin definition." However, the Sonata II manual shows
> seven connections and calls it an "Intel standard 10-pin connector"!
> On closer inspection, I couldn't find any "Rear Speaker" jack on the
> front panel of the Sonata II case (although I have yet to remove the
> front case cover to see just where the wires connected to those two
> rear speaker pins go to). I'll accept that it appears to be an AC'97
> front panel in every other respect.
>
> Thanks for the reply!

The Sonata seven wires minus RET-R and RET-L, should fit with
the five pins listed in the Asus manual for AC-97.

The history of this, is contained in some formfactors.org documents.
The problem is, when Intel wrote their HDaudio spec, they
decided to redefine the AC-97 pinout of the 2x5. If Intel wanted
a few sense pins, it would have been better to just add another
small header with the necessary signals on it. That would be less
confusing for the consumer (of course, DIY builders are insignificant
in the minds of the big companies).

These two docs, somewhere around page 19, contain some info.

(AC-97 header - archived doc)
http://web.archive.org/web/20040407073715/http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/fpio_design_guideline.pdf

(HDaudio header)
http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\A2928604-005.pdf

I don't know what the BIOS setting "Front Panel Support Type"
is doing. To figure that out, I'd have to dump the registers
for the audio, to see if the setting makes any difference to the
register contents. Because otherwise, I don't see how the BIOS
is going to be doing anything to the audio. It must be a
parameter passing thing of some sort. But what would they
be passing ?

Paul