From: jimmyleadfoot on
There seems to be a limitless number of "how to build a pc" guides on
the internet.

Can anyone recommend one that they like?

Thanks!

Jimmy
From: SkyHigh on
Buy a cheap second hand computer.
Take it apart and note where everything goes.
Then put it together and try troubleshooting it to get it going again. Best
experience you can get.

From: jimmyleadfoot on
On May 7, 10:32 pm, "SkyHigh" <andreas.ha...(a)vodafone.co.nz> wrote:
> Buy a cheap second hand computer.
> Take it apart and note where everything goes.
> Then put it together and try troubleshooting it to get it going again.  Best
> experience you can get.
>
> "jimmyleadfoot" <jimmyleadf...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > There seems to be a limitless number of "how to build a pc" guides on
> > the internet.
>
> > Can anyone recommend one that they like?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > Jimmy- Hide quoted text -

I actually am starting with Sony Vaio box that runs slowly...

I figure I will replace the motherboard first, but that is just a
quess...

From: Mike Easter on
jimmyleadfoot wrote:

> I actually am starting with Sony Vaio box that runs slowly...
>
> I figure I will replace the motherboard first, but that is just a
> quess...

I wouldn't start that way.

What are the specifics of the Sony Vaio? Specifically the hardware
resources, cpu, ram, hdd, modelno of the box.

What OS are you trying to run in it/ on it/ that is 'slow'?

What resources do you own/ have access to/ in terms of installable
operating system?

--
Mike Easter
From: Flasherly on
On May 7, 10:39 pm, jimmyleadfoot <jimmyleadf...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 7, 10:32 pm, "SkyHigh" <andreas.ha...(a)vodafone.co.nz> wrote:
>

> > Buy a cheap second hand computer.
> > Take it apart and note where everything goes.
> > Then put it together and try troubleshooting it to get it going again. Best
> > experience you can get.
>
> > "jimmyleadfoot" <jimmyleadf...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > There seems to be a limitless number of "how to build a pc" guides on
> > > the internet.
>
> > > Can anyone recommend one that they like?
>
> > > Thanks!
>
> > > Jimmy- Hide quoted text -

> I actually am starting with Sony Vaio box that runs slowly...
>
> I figure I will replace the motherboard first, but that is just a
> quess...

SkyHigh's suggestion is good -- problem w/ brandnames, some, is they
can be a Chinese jigsaw to figure. I'd add a qualifier to that -- get
a *generic* ATX case that will fit virtually all standard sized
motherboard mounting holes, with the same holding true for power
supplies. What's left -- a hard and optical drive, and things start
to look pretty simple from the assembly point. Meaning, there's more
time to concentrate on the component factor, researching and
understanding what's going inside a box, facilitating "swapping",
instead of unwanted proprietary part hairball issues. Also, since the
box is square one -- think about one with adequate cooling. Starting
up a "clean machine" shouldn't involve heat, or be fundamentally
problematic about causing software-related glitches and potential
hardware failures.

I've got a lot of older gear I built that's been holding up "OK" over
the years. Not worth much now if I were to sell the stuff -- which I
guess means cheap *and* good. Good being a matter of focus and
application, and what-if scenarios when eventually, as will happen,
stuff quits, breaks, or gets too outdated and has to be replaced.