From: Rod Speed on
John Doe wrote:
> Currently, I use a small primary hard drive and a larger secondary
> hard drive. One major question I have is whether it works reliably
> using a single hard drive with two partitions, one for Windows and
> one for the copies (and whatever other data).

Yes, except for the fact that if you lose that hard drive, you lose the original and the backup.

> Having two hard drives is a good idea but of course many people do not.

You can always add an external.

From: Fishface on
John Doe wrote:

> Apparently it allows browsing and copying files from the image,
> that is useful and might make Acronis Disk Director obsolete here.

The free edition seems to be limited to browsing one image and it
requires a reboot to reset. It won't "Detach" the image. At least, that
is how it behaves in the 64-bit version.

> The only restores I have done are from the backup CD, they went
> perfectly, but I have not tried doing a restore by right clicking
> on the backup file.

I can't imagine that you could restore your system drive from within
Windows-- but I never tried that.
From: Fishface on
John Doe wrote:

> Currently, I use a small primary hard drive and a larger secondary
> hard drive. One major question I have is whether it works reliably
> using a single hard drive with two partitions, one for Windows and
> one for the copies (and whatever other data). Having two hard
> drives is a good idea but of course many people do not.

I have done that, but since my Raptor got the click of death, I really
don't trust that method. I made a bootable Linux pen drive with
Parted Magic, like this (but I don't think this was my original source):

www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-parted-magic-flash-drive-creation-windows/

....to create another partition where once there was but one. I did that
on three computers, I think...

From: John Doe on
"Fishface" <fishface(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

>> Apparently it allows browsing and copying files from the image,
>> that is useful and might make Acronis Disk Director obsolete
>> here.
>
> The free edition seems to be limited to browsing one image and
> it requires a reboot to reset. It won't "Detach" the image. At
> least, that is how it behaves in the 64-bit version.

Right... Windows must be restarted in order to remove the drive
letter that is produced when a backup copy is browsed. That is
noteworthy IMO, but probably not a problem here.

>> The only restores I have done are from the backup CD, they went
>> perfectly, but I have not tried doing a restore by right
>> clicking on the backup file.
>
> I can't imagine that you could restore your system drive from
> within Windows-- but I never tried that.

The way my (problematic) disk managers have done it is to restart
and use some operating environment, before getting back to the
desktop, that is outside of Windows proper.